Patient Portal Setup: Hosted by Open Dental
The Patient Portal is hosted by Open Dental.
- Update to the latest stable version.
- Set up the eConnector (only needs to be done once, shared by all eServices).
- Select portal features in the eServices Signup Portal.
- Customize the Patient Facing URL (optional).
- Customize the Secure Web Mail notification email (optional).
- Import Coding Systems. We recommend importing all, but at a minimum import SNOMED CTs, CVX, and RxNorms. The code systems are required to view care summaries in the portal.
Optional Setup: Add a Patient Portal row to the Patient Information area of the Chart module that can be used to grant portal access.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Display Fields, ChartPatientInformation.
- Move the Patient Portal field to the Fields Showing grid and click OK.
- In the Chart module, Patient Information area, double click the Patient Portal row to grant access.
- The Patient Portal is free for those on support. Thus in the Signup Portal the Patient Portal option is always checked.
- The Patient Portal is not compatible with Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. You must be using Windows Vista or greater.
- For a diagram, see Open Dental Hosted Diagram.
Select Portal Features
This process will determine which features are available to patients in the portal. These steps refer to version 17.1 and greater. To see steps for earlier versions see Version 16.4 and earlier.
- In the main menu, click eServices, Signup, then click the More Settings tab.
- Select the options that will be available in the portal:
MakePayments: Patients can make online payments using X-Charge. For more setup information, see Online Patient Payments.
ModuleAccount: Patients can view payments and statements.
ModuleWebMail: Use Secure Web mail to view, compose, and send secure web mail messages between provider and patient.
ModuleCareSummary: Patients can view, download, and transmit care summaries.
ModuleImages: Patients can view and download PDFs or images stored in Images folders shared to the portal.
- Click Submit to apply changes. It may take up to 15 minutes for changes to take effect.
Customize the Patient Facing URL
The Patient Facing URL defaults to the Hosted URL. This URL will show on the printout given to patients when Granting Portal Access. If you have a domain name and host a website yourself, you can optionally create a web page on your own site and add a redirect to the Hosted URL. Then enter the web page URL as the Patient Facing URL.
- Hosted URL = https://www.patientviewer.com/?ID=abc123
- Patient Facing URL = https://www.opendental.com/login.html. This page on your website has a redirect to the Hosted URL.
- The Patient Facing URL will be given to the patient as the access URL. When the patient goes to this URL, they will be automatically redirected to the Hosted URL.
- On your website, create a web page that redirects to the Hosted URL.
- On the eServices Setup window, click the Patient Portal tab.
- Enter the web page URL in the Patient Facing URL field.
Customize the Secure Web Mail Notification Email
The notification email subject and message are used to create un-secure email notifications to alert a patient when a secure web mail is waiting in the patient portal.
Enter the text on the eServices Setup window, Patient Portal tab:
- Subject: The subject of the email.
- Body: The email message itself. Make sure to include the tag [URL]; it will be replaced with a clickable link to the Patient Facing URL when the message is sent. This will allow patients to quickly access the patient portal login page to view the secure message.
Example: The email message in the screenshot above will look like this:
Please go to this link and login using your credentials. https://www.opendental.com/login.html