Set up the Patient Portal
The Patient Portal is hosted by Open Dental and available to all customers on support.
Note: To set up the portal, the eConnector must already be installed. See eConnector Installation for easy installation steps.
- Select Portal Features
- Customize the Patient Facing URL
- Customize WebMail Settings (notification email, default WebMail Notify email address)
- Import Code Systems
- Add a Patient Portal Row to the Patient Info Area
Select Portal Features
This process will determine which features are available to patients in the portal.
- In the main menu, click eServices, Signup, then More Settings.
- Select the features patients can see and use in the portal.
- MakePayments: Patients can make online payments using X-Charge. For more setup information, see Online Patient Payments.
- ModuleAccount: Patients can view payments and statements.
- ModuleWebMail: Use secure WebMail to view, compose, and send secure WebMail messages between provider and patient.
- ModuleCareSummary: Patients can view, download, and transmit care summaries.
- ModuleImages: Patients can view and download PDFs or images stored in Images folders shared to the portal.
- Click Submit to apply changes. It may take up to 15 minutes for changes to take effect.
Customize the Patient Facing URL
The Patient Facing URL is the web address given to patients to access the portal. It can be the same as your hosted URL, or, if you have your own domain name and host a website, you can use it as the Patient Facing URL instead. If you do enter a different Patient Facing URL, make sure to add a redirect to your web page that sends the patient to the portal hosted URL.
- Hosted URL = https://www.patientviewer.com/?ID=abc123
- Patient Facing URL = https://www.opendental.com/login.html. Add a redirect on this page that goes to the Hosted URL.
- On your website, create a web page that redirects to the Hosted URL.
- In Open Dental's main menu, click eServices, Patient Portal.
- Patient Facing URL: Enter your web page URL.
Customize Secure WebMail Settings
Notification Email: The notification email subject and message are used to create un-secure email notifications that alert a patient when a new secure WebMail is available in the patient portal.
- Subject: The subject of the email.
- Body: The email message itself. Make sure to include the tag [URL]; it will be replaced with a clickable link to the Patient Facing URL when the message is sent. This will allow patients to quickly access the patient portal login page to view the secure message.
Example: The email message in the screenshot above will look like this:
Please go to this link and login using your credentials. https://www.opendental.com/login.html
WebMail Notify Address: This email will be used to send the secure WebMail notifications to patients.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Manage, Email.
- Highlight the email used to send WebMail notifications, then click WebMailNotify. An X will show in the Notify column.
- Click OK to save.
Import Coding Systems
The code systems are required to view care summaries in the portal. We recommend importing all coding systems, but at a minimum import SNOMED CTs, CVX, and RxNorms.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Chart, EHR, then Code Sytem Importer.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Select the code systems, then click Download UpdatesImport.
Add a Patient Row to Patient Information
To help staff quickly Grant Access to patients and generate portal usernames and passwords, add a Patient Portal row to the Patient Info area of the Chart module.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Display Fields, ChartPatientInformation.
- Add the Patient Portal field to the Fields Showing grid.
- Reorder the row as desired.
- Click OK.
The row will indicate whether patient has access or not. To provide online access, simply double click the row.