The name of the currently selected patient shows in the upper left title bar of Open Dental. There are several ways to change patients. Moving between modules does
not change the patient.
'Select Patient' toolbar button
- In the main Toolbar, click Select Patient.
- Double click on the patient row to select. The patient record will open in whatever module you began in.
By default, only one page of patients lists in the Select Patient grid at once. Names are sorted alphabetically by last name. The columns of information are customizable in Display Fields.
To filter the list, enter criteria in the Search by area. You can search by one or many criteria, and enter information by typing or using the keypad.
- First Name: By default this field searches patient first name only. To also search preferred name, see Miscellaneous Setup.
- Billing Type: Options are defined in Definitions, Billing Types.
- Site: Options are defined in Sites.
- Clinic: If using Clinics, filter the list to patients who are associated to a specific clinic as well as patients who are 'unassigned'. Patients are considered 'associated' if the clinic is their default or if they have any appointments in the clinic. The default selection is the clinic selected in the Main Menu.
- Guarantors Only: Only list guarantors.
- Hide Inactive Patients: Exclude patients with a status of 'Inactive'.
- Show Archived/Deceased/Hidden Clinics: Show patients that have a status of 'Archived' or 'Deceased', or whose default clinic is marked 'hidden'.
Note: Only full string matches will display, with exact matches listing first. If you search for ''cott', only results that start with 'cott' will display (e.g. Cotter). Results that include 'cott' mid-string will not (e.g. Scott).
Other Options: These options also affect search results:
- Search: Use this to see filter results when 'Refresh by Typing' is not selected.
- Get All: List all patients (more than 30) that meet the search criteria and activate the vertical scrollbar. When this option is clicked, all patients that match the string of characters entered as search criteria (including mid-string characters) will show. Next Visit and/or Last Visit dates will not be visible when all patients are listed.
- Refresh by Typing: If checked, as you type criteria the patient list will automatically refresh with matching results. The setting affects this workstation only.
Add New Family: You must always search for at least patient last name to see if a patient record exists. If it doesn't, you can add a new patient record using one of the following options:
Note: Birth dates entered on select patient window automatically carry over when adding new patient(s).
Select Patient Dropdown
Another way to select a patient is by clicking the Select Patient dropdown in the main Toolbar. The last five patients selected will show, as well as all family members associated with the current patient. Click on a name to select.