Creating a Dental Lab Case
Dental lab cases are usually created, then attached to a planned appointment or scheduled appointment. Before creating a lab case, Set Up Dental Laboratories.
Note: Only one lab case can be attached to an appointment. If you have two lab cases, make another appointment next to the first and move the procedure (e.g. seating) to the second appointment.
- In the patient's Chart module, click LabCase. Or, on the Edit Appointment or Edit Planned Appointment window, click Lab in the left panel, then New.
- Verify the provider.
- Highlight a lab. The lab's available services and turnaround times (as set in Laboratory Setup) will list under Set Due Date.
- Click on a service/turnaround time to automatically calculate a Date Time Due, skipping weekends and holidays (as set in Schedules). It is assumed that holidays are days that both the practice and labs will be closed. Provider schedule is not taken into account. Note that selecting a service does not track the kind of lab case, it only generates the due date. Dates can also be edited as needed.
- Add any necessary instructions.
- To generate a lab slip, click New Slip.
- Enter a Tracking date and time (e.g. for Sent). This is useful for Managing Lab Cases.
- Click OK to save the lab case.
Note: The Lab Fee field is for tracking and informational purposes only. The fee is not used in any calculation.
Once a lab case is created, an entry will be added in the Progress Notes. If it was created within the Edit Appointment or Edit Planned Appointment window, the lab case will already be attached to the appointment and is ready to be scheduled. If created outside of an appointment, see Attach a Lab Case to an Appointment below.
Attaching a Lab Case to an Appointment
The lab case can be attached to a planned appointment first or directly to a scheduled appointment.
- To attach to a planned appointment, double-click appointment in the Planned Appts tab to open the Edit Planned Appointment window.
To attach to an already scheduled appointment, double click the appointment itself in the Appointments module to open the Edit Appointment window.
- Click Lab in the left panel.
A list of lab cases already created for this patient, but not attached to an appointment, will show.
- Select the lab case, then click OK to attach it. Or, to create a new lab case, click New.
The attached lab case information will show in the Lab field.
It will also show in the appointment itself if 'Lab' is added to the Appointment View.
To manage and track lab cases, see Managing Lab Cases.
When procedures involve multiple appointments
Additional Field Descriptions
Appointment: The scheduled Appointment this lab case is attached to. Click Detach to remove the association with the appointment without deleting the lab case.
Planned Appointment: The Planned Appointment this lab case is attached to. Click Detach to remove the association with the appointment without deleting the lab case.
Lab: A list of labs set up in Laboratory Setup.
Set Due Date: A list of services and turnaround times defined in Laboratory Setup for the selected lab. The turnaround time is used to calculate a Date Time Due. After you
click the turnaround time, it will not stay highlighted.
Date Time Due: If you click a service/turnaround time listed under Set Due Date, the Date Time Due will automatically calculate. You can also edit as needed.
Instructions: Instructions that will show on the generated lab slip.
Tracking Dates: Used to track the progress of the lab case. Click Now to insert the current date and time.
- Created: When the lab case was created.
- Sent: When the case was finished being packaged and
set out to be picked up. It may not actually be picked
up until hours later.
- Received: When the lab case was processed by the office
staff as having come back from the lab. The box does not need to be opened.
- Quality Checked: The box has been opened. The case appears
to be ready to deliver to the patient. The staff has performed whatever
quality checks are needed, including checking contacts, appearance, etc.
New Slip / Edit Slip: Generate a new lab slip, or edit a lab slip for an existing lab case. Set default lab slips for each lab in Laboratory Setup.