In the Main Menu, click Setup, Enterprise.
Many of these settings appear in other locations in Open Dental, but changes in either place will reflect globally. Enterprise Setup must be turned on in Show Features.
Note: Some grayed out options can only be enabled via a query. Others can be set elsewhere in Open Dental. See details below. Contact Support
Aging calculate monthly instead of daily: Check to have aging calculated on a monthly basis. This is an old method that was retained for backwards compatibility. It is not recommended. If selected, you must manually update aging by running the aging tool (see below). Aging in a patient's Account will be based on the last calculated date. The last calculated date will also be the default in the Aging of A/R report, though can be changed.
Aging for enterprise Galera cluster environments using FamAging table: Only used by enterprise organizations that use Galera cluster environments to prevent possible deadlocks when running Aging. Must be set from Miscellaneous Setup.
- Checked: A password is required to check this box; it is abracadabra. When checked, aging will only calculate once per day and a second field labeled DateTime the currently running aging started will show.
If aging is running, the date and time it started will appear and clear once aging is completed. As long as there is a value in the field, another person cannot run aging simultaneously (thus preventing possible deadlock). To clear the value (e.g. to allow another person to run aging), press Clear. This is rare and typically only done if aging started on a computer that was forcefully closed without clearing the Date/Time.
- Unchecked: Aging runs as normal.
Aging Report Show Age Pat Payplan Payments: If enabled, a checkbox will be added to the Custom Aging Report window to age patient payments to Payment Plans. Additional Payplan logic settings can be found in Account Module Preferences, Misc Account tab.
Aging Service Time Due: Time of day aging will be calculated. Aging will run during a block of time starting at the time set.
Patient Payments Use: Determines the default clinic for patient payments (Payment window). There are three options.
- SelectedClinic: Use the clinic selected in the main menu under Clinics.
- PatientDefaultClinic: Use the patient's default clinic as set on the Edit Patient Information. If the patient's clinic is Unassigned, the default clinic will be none.
- SelectedExceptHQ: Use the clinic selected in the main menu, unless it is Headquarters. In that case, use the patient's clinic.
Payments prompt for Payment Type: Determines whether or not a payment type is automatically selected when entering a patient payment.
- Checked: Users must manually select the payment type when entering a payment (no default selected).
- Unchecked (default): The first payment type in the list will be selected by default.
Auto-split payments preferring: Determines the logic for automatic paysplit allocation suggestions when entering patient payments.
- Adjustments (default): Open Dental will automatically suggest paysplits allocated to the oldest positive adjustment, then follow FIFO (First In First Out) accounting logic for the remaining outstanding charges.
- FIFO: Open Dental will automatically suggest paysplits allocated to the oldest, completed procedures with outstanding charges.
Show all transactions since zero balance: Check to include all transactions since the last zero balance for statements generated from Billing.
Claim Identification Prefix: Change the default format of the claim ID. This number is assigned to a claim using the prefix selected, then adding an auto-generated claim number. Useful for internal tracking of claims. Click Replacements to select a prefix.
Receive Reports by Service: Determines the method used to receive clearinghouse reports.
- Unchecked: The computer specified will receive the reports. This is the original method used by Open Dental.
- Checked: Receive reports using the OpenDentalService (see Service Manager). This method is recommended for remote app users.
Receive at an Interval: Set a time interval, in minutes, to automatically check the clearinghouse server and download new reports. Only values between 5 and 60 are allowed. 30 is the default.
Receive at a set time: Set a specific time to check the clearinghouse server and download new reports. Time will auto correct itself to valid format (e.g. 1:00 AM)
Enforce Valid Paysplits: Determines whether or not users are forced to allocate patient payments to procedures and unearned income. See Payment Preferences for more details.
- Enforce Fully: Open Dental will automatically suggest payment splits (paysplits) allocated to procedures, procedure treating provider, default clinic, and default unearned income types. Users can modify suggested paysplits, but are required to allocate to procedures or unearned income types. Credits on Payment Plans are also required to be attached to procedures.
- Auto-Split Only (default): Open Dental will automatically suggest paysplits allocated to procedures, procedure treating provider, default clinic, and default unearned income types, but user can modify splits or choose to remove allocations to procedures or unearned income types.
- Don't Enforce (old behavior): Open Dental will only suggest paysplits allocated to the procedure's treating provider. Users are not required to allocate to procedures or unearned income types.
Enforce Valid Adjustments: Determines whether clinic and provider of adjustments match clinic and provider of attached procedures. Also determines whether attaching adjustments to procedures is required or optional. Setting will only apply when adding new adjustments or editing existing adjustments.
- Enforce Fully: Attaching procedures to adjustments is required. Clinic and provider assigned will be the same as procedure. Users with the Setup security permission may edit the adjustment to assign a different clinic and provider than the attached procedure.
- Link Only: Clinic and provider assigned will be the same as procedure. Users may edit the adjustment to assign a different clinic and provider than the attached procedure.
- Don't Enforce: The patient's default clinic and provider will be assigned to the adjustment. Users may edit the adjustment to assign to the same clinic and provider as the procedure.
Note: Attaching adjustments through the Procedure
Edit Window will always assign the procedure clinic and provider to the adjustment.
Hide paysplits from payment window by default:
- Checked: Current Payment Splits and Outstanding Charges will be hidden by default when the Payment window is opened.
- Unchecked: Current Payment Splits and Outstanding Charges will show by default when the Payment window is opened.
Pay Plan Charge Logic: Determines how charges and credits for Patient Payment Plans show in the patient account ledger and whether they affect balances, aging, and reports.
- Do Not Age (Legacy): Payment plan debits (amounts due) and payments only show within the payment plan and will not affect balance or aging.
- Payment plan debits are totaled in the Payment Plans grid under Due Now.
- Payment plan payments do not show in the ledger but in the payment plan. Double-clicking the plan row is the only way to view payment plan payments.
- One payment plan credit (PayPln) will show as a single line item in the patient account ledger, thus reducing the total account balance by the amount. The credit amount is based on the Tx Completed Amt set in the payment plan.
- Other payment plan credits, debits, and payments do not show in the ledger nor do they affect balances or aging.
- The total A/R in the Aging of A/R report will not include payment plan due amounts.
- Only changes to the Tx Completed Amount affect aging and production and income reports.
- Payment plan amounts are not included on the Receivables Breakdown Report.
- Age Credits and Debits (Default): Payment plan debits, credits, and payments will show as line items in patient account ledger and affect balances and aging.
- Payment plan amounts due (PayPln: Debit) and credits (PayPln: Credit) show as line items in the patient account ledger.
- Payment plan payments show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan due amounts are included the patient's balance.
- Payment plan amounts due and payments are considered when calculating aging.
- Payment plan credits and debits are included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
- Changes made to historical payment plan charges will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
- Age Credits Only: Patients are credited for payment plans when the credit comes due, but debits all exist separately from the account ledger.
- Each payment plan credit line item will show in the account ledger, sorted by Tx Credit date.
- Payment plan debits only show in the Payment Plan grid. They do not show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan amounts due will not be considered when calculating balances and aging.
- Payment plan credits and debits will not be included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
- Changes made to historical payment plan credits will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
- No Charges to Account (Rarely Used):
- Payment plans have no affect on account balance.
- Payments to payment plans show in ledger and payment plan.
- Payment plan amount is not removed from aging.
- Payment plan amounts will not be included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
Max number of statements per batch (0 for no limit): Enter the maximum number of statements that will be considered a batch when sending statements via the Billing List. Enter 0 to set no limit. Useful for large offices that send many statements.
Show progress when sending statements: Determines whether or not a progress bar shows when sending statements via the Billing List.
- Checked: A progress bar does show that includes options for pause, resume, cancel.
- Unchecked: A progress bar will not show.
Passwords must be strong:
- Checked: All passwords must be at least 8 characters and contain at least one number, one uppercase letter, and one lowercase letter.
- If using Mobile Web and passwords are changed to must be strong, users who do not have a strong password must change passwords to meet the criteria before they can access the Mobile Web. Users who already have a strong password do not need to go through this process.
- When passwords must be strong, a password is required when adding a new user.
- Unchecked. Strong passwords are not required.
Strong passwords require special character:
- Checked: When passwords must be strong, the password must also contain at least one special character (e.g. #, $, !).
- Unchecked: A special character is not required.
Force password change if not strong:
- Checked: When passwords must be strong, users who do not have a strong password will be required to change their password the next time they log on so it meets criteria.
- Unchecked: Users will not be required or prompted to change to a strong password.
Lock includes administrators: Lock limitation applies to Admin user group. See Security Lock Dates.
Automatic logoff time in minutes (0 to disable): Set the number of minutes before idle users are automatically logged off. Setting "0" will disable this function.
Manually enter log on credentials: When checked users will have to type their username and password to log on. If unchecked username can be selected from the list.
Global Lock: Global lock dates prevent editing of old items and are the only way to prevent backdating of new items.
- Lock Date: Changes will only be allowed if they occur before the date entered.
- Lock Days: Changes will only be allowed within a set amount of days from the original entry date.
DBM Disable Optimize:
- Checked: The Optimize Database tool will be disabled. See Database Maintenance
- Unchecked: The Optimize Databse tool will be available.
DBM Skip Check Table:
- Checked: Database Maintenance will skip table checks.
- Unchecked: Database Maintenance will check table integrity.
Clinics (multiple office locations): See Clinics. Must be enabled from Show Features.
Disable signal interval after this many minutes of user inactivity:This setting is only valid if you have entered a value for Process Signal Interval below. Enter the minutes of workstation activity that will cause Open Dental to stop sending automatic signals to refresh information. We recommend setting a value similar to the value of any auto log off options for Open Dental or Windows (see Global Security Settings). Disabling the signal during workstation inactivity can prevent errors due to lack of network access (e.g. the server is down). Once the workstation becomes active (e.g. with a mouse click or mouse movement), the signal will resume at the set intervals (see above). Leave the field blank if you do not want to disable the signal during periods of inactivity.
Process signal interval in seconds. Usually every 6 to 20 seconds:The interval, in seconds, that Open Dental will automatically refresh the Appointments module, task lists, and text notifications. Usually the value will be 6 to 20 seconds. Leave the field blank to disable auto-refresh. See Refreshing Data.
- If a workstation has a network access issue when it sends a signal, you will receive an Unhandled Exception error. We recommend clicking Quit, then restarting Open Dental.
- A value must be entered when using the Kiosk Manager feature.
- The number of characters entered into the search fields before filling the grid: Reduces server load when Selecting a Patient by not requesting results until specified number of characters have been entered. One to ten characters, try starting with 3.
- The number of milliseconds to wait after a character is entered before filling the grid: Reduces server load when selecting patients by adding a delay before requesting search results as user types. One to 10,000 milliseconds, try starting with 1500.
- Search and fill grid with all empty search fields: By default, opening Select Patient window will populate the grid before any search fields have been entered. Uncheck to reduce sever load by requiring user to click Search before populating the grid if no search terms have been entered.
Appointments require procedures: Determines whether or not new appointments must have procedures attached.
- Checked: At least one procedure must be attached to an appointment before it can be created.
- Unchecked: Appointments can be created with no procedures attached.
Force op's hygiene provider as secondary provider: Determines the default hygienist when scheduling an appointment in an operatory.
- Checked: The hygienist of the operatory is always assigned as the hygienist on the appointment, even if none.
- Unchecked: The hygienist of the operatory is assigned as the hygienist unless it is none. In that case, the patient's secondary provider is assigned.
Enterprise Appointment Lists: Preference to reduce unnecessary server traffic.
- Checked: Many forms will not automatically load information while Headquarters is active Clinic. All option will not be available in Clinic selection boxes. Reduces server load.
- Unchecked: Information will continue to load normally when Headquarters is active clinic. All option will be available in Clinic selection boxes. May reduce performance of Open Dental.
Do not default to 'None' Appointment View when other views are available:
- Checked: Disable default Appointment View of None in the appointment module.
- Unchecked: If no appointment view is selected for a user, the None view will be used by default.
Super Families: Turn on Super Family features.
Patient Clone: Turn on Patient Clones. Useful for orthodontist offices who want to track production and income separately.
New patient clones use superfamily instead of regular family:
- Checked: New clones will be created as the guarantor in their own family. If no Super Family exists, one will be created to include original patient and clone patient. If original patient is already part of a Super Family, clone will join existing Super Family. See Super Family.
- Unchecked: New clones will inherit guarantor and Super Family settings from original patient.
Claim Snapshot Enabled: If checked, snapshots of claim procedures are created when a claim is created.
Snapshot Trigger: Only visible if Claim Snapshot Enabled is checked. Determines when a Claim Snapshot is created.
- Claim Created: By default the snapshot is created at the time the claim is created.
- Service - Specific Time: Snapshots will be generated by a service at the Service Run Time set below.
- Insurance Payment Received: Snapshot will be created when the Insurance payment it received.
Service Run Time: Only visible if Claim Snapshot Enabled is checked. Determines time of day OpenDentalService should create Claim Snapshot.
Use separate reporting server: A report server can be useful to large offices to prevent lockups and slowness in a live database. See Report Server.
- Server Name: The name of the computer acting as the report server.
- Database: The database to connect to.
- MySQL User: Default user is root. See MySQL Security.
- MySQL Password: The user password (if you have set up MySQL users and password).
- If you do not know your URI, see Middle Tier Troubleshooting for help.