See CareCredit Setup.
Follow these steps when refunding a CareCredit payment.
In the original CareCredit payment, click Return.
When prompted to proceed with the return, click Yes. The payment window will close, and the CareCredit refund portal will launch in the web browser.
- You will have 30 minutes to complete the transaction before the request expires.
- Unlike purchase transactions, you may minimize the web browser and continue working in Open Dental.
- Do not switch patients when issuing a refund. If the patient is changed, the transaction will be for the original patient but the transaction will post on the currently selected patient.
- Enter the patient's CareCredit account number, then click Next.
The patient name is automatically pulled from Open Dental. If the account number is not known, the account may be verified with other patient information.
- Look Up Account by SSN & Zip: Enter the patient's SSN and verify their zip code. The zip code is automatically pulled from Open Dental. The SSN must be entered manually.
- Look Up Account by Name & Phone: This information is automatically pulled from Open Dental. Verify it is correct.
- Complete the Amount & Financing section and click Submit Transaction to finalize the return.
- Refund Amount: The original payment amount is automatically filled in. Edit the amount if refunding a portion of the original payment.
- Financing Option: Select the financing terms setup for the original payment.
- Manufacturer: Select the manufacturer. Options include:
- Practice Memo: Defaults to the Open Dental payment number of the original transaction. Enable the Account Module Preference, Show payment numbers in Account Module to see the payment numbers at the bottom of each payment note.
- Print a copy of the receipt for the patient to sign.
A negative payment with the CareCredit transaction details will post to the account in Open Dental. It may take a few moments to post.
- Exit the browser to prevent accidentally processing transactions for the wrong patient.