Upload Web Forms to Web Server
Web forms are hosted on the Open Dental web server.
- An active registration key.
- Every uploaded Web Form Sheet must contain fields for LastName, FirstName, and Birthdate so that the completed form can be matched to the correct patient in the database.
- In the main menu, click Tools, Web Forms.
- Click Setup in the upper left corner.
The Sheet Defs grid shows all forms currently uploaded to the Open Dental web server and their unique URLs. Forms can be uploaded or deleted from the server at any time without damaging patient records. To view a form, double click on it.
- Host Server Address: Do not edit this address.
- Border Color: The background color of the Web Form window. Click Change to select a different color.
- Description: The name of the Sheet.
- Browser Address for Patients: The URL of the Web Form. Right click on the row to quickly copy the URL to the clipboard, or navigate to the URL in a web browser.
- Construct URL area: Build a URL that links uploaded Web Forms, redirects users to a specific website upon submission of a Web Form, and/or is associated with a clinic. See Construct a URL below.
- Click Add.
Sheets with a type of 'patient form' or 'medical history' are listed. Consent forms will also show if the option is checked on the Patient Forms Window. If no custom 'patient forms' have been created, the internal Registration Form, Financial Agreement, HIPAA, and Consent forms list by default. Once a custom sheet with the type 'patient form' has been created, internal 'patient form' sheet types will no longer list. To get them to show, create a custom copy of each.
- Click on a form, then click OK to upload it.
Update a Web Form
If you edit a sheet after it has been uploaded as a Web Form to the server, it needs to also be updated on the Web Form server.
Note: Updating images on webforms may cause the message below. Selecting 'Yes' will allow you to compare the image and compress if necessary.
- Update sheet under Setup, Sheets.
- Click OK on sheet to save changes.
- You will get a prompt asking if you want to update the webform.
- Click 'Yes' to update the form. Click 'No' if you are not ready to update the published webform
- On the Web Form Setup window, select the Web Form.
- Click Update.
- If the server can identify the sheet the Web Form is linked to, the form will be immediately updated.
If the server cannot identity the matching sheet, a list of sheet options will show. Select the sheet, then click OK to update.
Note: To update Web Forms in version 16.3 and earlier, delete the old Web Form from the server, then upload new form. This will create a new URL.
Construct a URL
Use the Construct URL area to build URLs that link multiple Web Forms together, associate Web Forms to a clinic, and/or redirect patients to a different URL after the form is submitted.
- Once a URL is constructed and includes the information you want, highlight it, right click and select Copy, then paste the URL to your website.
- When adding the URL to your website, the "target=_blank" attribute can be used to open the Web Form in a separate window..
<a href="https://patientviewer.com/WebForms/Sheets.aspx?DOID=22400&WSDID=16756" target="_blank">
- https://patientviewer.com and https://opendentalsoft.com are interchangeable host server addresses.
- In version 16.3 and earlier, URLs must be manually constructed. See Link Multiple Web Forms / Add a Redirect.
Redirect URL: Enter a value here to include code that redirects the user to a different website upon submission of the Web Form.
- Select the Web Form(s).
- Enter the full URL of the redirect (e.g. http://www.yourwebsite.com/). The URLs area will update to include the redirect code (&ReturnURL=http://www.website.com).
Next Forms: Link multiple Web Forms together. Patients will see a list of all linked forms on the left side of their browser and can click on each one to move from form to form. All forms will still be submitted at once.
- Select the Web Form(s)
- Click [...] next to Next Forms.
- Click the dropdown, then highlight the forms that will show 'next'. To select multiple forms, click and drag, or press Ctrl while clicking.
- Click OK. The URLs area will update to include code for the new 'linked' forms (&NFID=12345).
The order of linked forms is always dictated by the order they are uploaded to the web server.
Inherit (Auto Fill) Name and Birthdate from Previous Form: By default this box is checked and 'Next Forms' inherit the Last Name, First Name, and Birthdate of the previous form.
To change this setting so that 'next forms' do not inherit this information:
- In version 17.3 and greater, uncheck the 'Inherit (Auto Fill) Name and Birthdate from Previous Form box.
- In earlier versions, add &AFNAB=N to the URL.
Clinic: If using Clinics, you can associate a clinic to a Web Form. When a new patient fills out a form and no patient record exists yet, the clinic associated to the Web Form will be assigned to the patient. Note: This clinic will not override clinic selection on any existing patient records.
- Select the Web Form(s).
- Click the Clinic dropdown to select the clinic, or click [...] to select from the Clinic List. The URLs area will update with the clinic code (&CID=1).