Time Card Management
Time card management is only available to users with the Edit All Timecards Permission. Calculations correspond with ADP format requirements for offices that use ADP for payroll.
Time card management tasks that are covered on this page:
- Time Card Options
- Adding Holiday Hours or Additional Overtime to an Employee's Time Card
- Calculating Daily and Weekly Totals
- Running Payroll Reports
- Printing Time Cards
- Hour Calculation Logic
See also: Webinar: Time Cards
In the Time Clock, click Manage to view all employee time cards at once.
Each row represents an employee's time card for the pay period. Employees are listed in alphabetical order by last name. Only employees who have at least one clock in/out event during the pay period will list. Adjustments alone do not cause an employee's time card to show.
- Pay Period: Click the right/left arrows to move back or forward a pay period. The dates will automatically change to reflect the pay period.
- Clinic: If using Clinics, select the clinic to manage time cards for. Only clinics the logged on user has access to will list as options. The default is determined by the clinic selected in the Main Menu, Clinics. All employees who have clock events for the selected clinic will list.
- Clear Manual Adjusts: Clear any manually entered adjustments made to a clock event for selected employees.
- Clear Auto Adjusts: Clear any daily or weekly adjustments made when Daily or Weekly is clicked.
- Total Hrs: Total number of hours worked (regular, overtime, and differential).
- Rate 1: The number of regular hours worked.
- Rate 1 OT: The number of regular overtime hours worked.
- Rate 2: The number of regular differential hours worked.
- Rate 2 OT: The number of overtime differential hours worked.
- Notes: Clock event notes and any errors that need to be fixed before running calculations.
Time Card Options
The settings described below affect time card security, time card calculations, time format.
Time Card Security: In the Security window, define global settings such as whether users can edit their time card or not, and user-specific settings such as which users can access Time Card Manage.
- TimecardSecurityEnabled: Makes the checkbox for 'Users cannot edit their own timecard' active.
- Users cannot edit their own timecard: If checked, individual users cannot make changes to their own time card. Most offices keep this box unchecked, because it is useful when employees can make notes and fix errors. Error fixing is tracked well in time cards. This setting overrides the permission Edit All Time Cards.
- Edit All Timecards: Users with this permission can access the Time Card Manage window and edit everyone's time card. Normally only the office manager or administrator will have this permission.
- Timecard Delete Entry: Users with this permission can delete time card entries.
- Clinics: The logged-on user can only manage timecards for clinics they have access to.
Time Card Calculations:
- Set up pay periods and define rules for overtime or differential hours (Time Card Setup).
- Set how breaks that exceed 30 minutes should be handled. Break time is always included in the time card, however time in excess of 30 minutes can be counted as paid or unpaid. To set your preference, see Time Card Setup, 'Calc Daily button makes adjustments if breaks over 30 minutes'. To only allow 30 minutes of paid break, check the box.
To count all break minutes as paid time, uncheck this box.
- In Manage Module Preferences, set the first day of the week used to calculate weekly overtime (over 40 hours). By default it is Sunday.
Time Format Options: In Time Card Setup, select the format for time (decimal or colon format), and select whether or not colon format shows seconds.
Adding Holiday Hours or Additional Overtime to an Employee's Time Card
Adjustments can be manually entered to account for holiday hours, additional overtime, etc. These adjustments create a separate row in the time card.
- Double click on an employee to open their time card.
- Click Add Adjustments.
- Select Manually entered to indicate this adjustment was entered manually and protects this adjustment from being deleted from auto deletion.
- Verify the Date/Time Entry of the adjustment. Today's date and the current time is automatically inserted. The date/time determines the sort order of the adjustment on the time card.
- Enter the number of Hours to add to the time card. If removing hours, enter a negative number.
- If this is an adjustment to account for overtime, check Overtime Adjustment. The entered hours will be deducted from regular time and transferred to overtime in calculation totals.
- Enter any notes about the adjustment.
- Click OK to save.
Calculating Daily and Weekly Totals
At the end of each pay period, regular and overtime hours need to be calculated for all employees. Calculations can be run for all employees at once or per time card.
- Check employee time cards for errors (e.g. no missing clock-in/out events). Add any manual adjustments. Correct any time card errors (see Editing Time Cards).
- Calculate total hours each day: This calculation will total the hours worked each day taking into account rules for overtime, differential hours, and your preference for how to handle break time over 30 minutes. Adjustments will be made within a clock event; new rows will not be created.
- To calculate for multiple employees, click Daily.
To calculate for a single employee, click Calc Daily on their time card.
If you don't like the results, edit the rules in Time Card Setup and run it again. Overrides can be made to individual clock events.
- Calculate Weekly Overtime (over 40 hours): This calculation totals additional overtime for employees who worked more than 40 hours in a week.
- To calculate for multiple employees, click Weekly.
To calculate for a single employee, click Calc Weekly OT on their time card.
If the total hours for an employee in a week is over 40, an additional adjustment row will be added for overtime hours. The weekly calculation will cross pay periods. Set the weekly start day in Manage Module Preferences.
If using clinics, total hours and overtime hours are assigned by clinic.
Print Grid: Print the Employee Time Cards grid.
Export Grid: Export the grid data as a .txt file to a location on your computer. When the export is complete, a message will show indicating the file name.
Export ADP: Export the time card data in ADP format (.csv file) to a location on your computer. If any errors are detected, you will receive a notification. When the export is complete, a message will show indicating the file name.
Printing Time Cards
The time cards will show in a Print Preview first, then you can send to the default printer.
Print All: Print all time cards at once.
Print Selected: Only print time cards for selected employees. Press Ctrl while clicking to select multiple employees.
Hour Calculation Logic
The math behind time card hour calculations is explained below.
Total hours = all hours worked (includes regular, overtime and differential (Rate 2) hours.
OT hours = overtime hours.
Rate 1 hours = hours paid at the regular rate.
Rate 2 hours = hours paid at the differential rate.
Rate 1 hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) * Regular hours
Rate 2 hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) - Rate 1 hours
So Rate 2 hours + Rate 1 hours = Regular hours.
Rate 1 OT hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) * OT hours
Rate 2 OT Hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) - (Rate 1 + Rate 2 + Rate 1 OT hours)