Using Required Fields, you can prompt staff to complete certain fields on the Edit Patient Information and Add Family windows. Set conditions that require fields to be completed.
- Birthdate cannot be blank.
- Gender cannot be 'unknown'.
- Student status must be chosen if patient age is greater than 17 or less than 35.
- Validate the number of digits in a Medicaid ID.
How it works:
- When staff enters patient information, required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- A message will notify staff of incomplete required fields on OK click.
- Staff can return to the window to complete information or proceed without completing information.
- If required fields are ignored, an Audit Trail entry is logged.
Note: some fields are filled in automatically and will not trigger a popup, or will only trigger once.
- StudentStatus: Only triggers a popup for a new patient. If the required field is ignored, a non-student status is automatically assigned.
- PrimaryProvider: Automatically assigned and will not trigger a popup, unless "Primary Provider defaults to 'Select Provider' in patient edit and add family" is checked in Family Module Preferences.
- BillingType: Will not trigger a popup.
Set Up Required Fields
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Required Fields.
Available fields: Lists all fields that can be marked 'required'. Field options vary depending on which options are enabled in Show Features.
Required fields: Lists all fields currently marked 'required'. Click on a field to view a description of the requirement under the grid.
Conditions: (optional) Add specific conditions that require a field to be completed. An X will show in the Conditions column.
- Highlight an available field, then click the right arrow to add it to the Required Fields list. To select multiple fields at once, press Shift + click. To remove a required field, select it and click the left arrow.
- Optional: Set specific conditions that require a field to be completed.
- Highlight the required field.
- Click Add under Conditions.
- Select the Condition type, operator, and value. Options will change based on the criteria selected.
- Set multiple conditions for a required field. In this case, the field is required only when all of the conditions are met.
- Click OK to save.
- Click OK to save required field settings.
Validation of Medicaid ID and State
If Medicaid is turned on in Show Features, the MedicaidID and MedicaidState fields list as Available Fields. In addition to designating the fields as 'required', you can also turn on validation that ensures the number of digits in the Medicaid ID is correct for the entered state.
- Add MedicaidID and/or MedicaidState to the Required Fields list.
- Highlight MedicaidID or MedicaidState. An additional checkbox will show under the Required Fields list.
- Check the box to turn on validation. This box is checked by default when MedicaidID or MedicaidState is added as a required field. When checked, a Medicaid ID Length column will also show in the State Abbreviations list. See State Abbreviations to enter the number of digits in a Medicaid ID by state.
How Medicaid ID validation works: When OK is clicked on the Edit Patient Information window, Open Dental will check if the number of digits entered for Medicaid ID matches the Medicaid ID Length entered for the state in the State Abbreviations list. If not, the user will be warned that required fields are missing or incorrect. If they return to the window (click Cancel), a red exclamation point will show next to the State field. Hovering over the field will show a message that indicates the required ID length.