Set up eReminders
eReminders are automated text message and/or email reminders about upcoming appointments. They are intended to be sent a short time before an appointment so patients don't forget to come.
- Create eReminder Rules. Rules determine when and how an eReminder is sent, and the reminder message.
- Activate the eReminder service.
Webinar: Automated Messages - eReminders and eConfirmations
Note: To send eReminders, the eConnector must already be installed. See eConnector Installation for easy installation steps.
Create eReminder Rules
eReminder rules determine when reminders are sent, the delivery method, and the message text. One same day reminder rule and one future day reminder rule can be created per clinic.
- Same Day Reminder: Reminders that are sent a few hours before the scheduled appointment on the same day.
- Future Day Reminder: Reminders that are sent days before an appointment (e.g. 1-5 days).
- In the main menu, click eServices, eReminders.
- If using Clinics, select the clinic.
Clinic considerations: You can create default rules that are used by all or some clinics, or different rules for each clinic. Automation can also be turned on/off per clinic.
- Default Rules: Select 'Defaults' as the clinic, then create the rules. To apply default rules to a clinic, select the clinic, then check 'Use Defaults'.
- Clinic-specific rules: Select the clinic, uncheck 'Use Defaults', then create the rules.
- Automation: To turn on/off automation by clinic, select the clinic, then check/uncheck 'Enable Automation for Clinic'.
- To create a new rule, click Add Same Day Reminder or Add Future Day Reminder. Or double click an existing rule to edit.
- Lead Time: Set how far in advance, in hours or days, the eReminder should be sent.
- To disable the eReminder without deleting it, enter 0 as a lead time.
- The automated eServices schedule also affects send time. See eServices Miscellaneous tab.
- Send Order: Select how the eReminders will be sent.
- Check Send All to send via text message and email, if patient has both options.
- Or, set a specific delivery method order.
The method listed first will be attempted first. If unsuccessful, the second method will be attempted. If that is unsuccessful, the third method will be attempted. Highlight a method, then click the up/down arrows to reorder it.
- Preferred: Use the
patient's preferred confirmation method to send the message. See Patient Information.
- Text: Send text messages.
- Email: Send email messages.
To send text messages, sign up for Integrated Texting. To send emails, set up Email.
- Customize the eReminder message for text messages and/or emails.
- Text Message: The text used for text messages.
- Email Subject and Body: The first text box is for the subject line. The second text box is for the body of the emails.
To insert data from the database into the message text, use 'Template Replacement Tags'.
- [ApptDate]: The date of the appointment.
- [ApptTime]: The start time of the appointment.
- [ApptTimeAskedArrive]: The time the patient is asked to arrive.
- [ClinicName]: The name of the clinic (Clinic Setup).
- [ClinicPhone]: The phone number of the clinic. See Time Asked to Arrive.
- [NameF]: Patient's first name.
- [PracticeName]: The practice name (Practice Setup)
- [PracticePhone]: The practice phone number.
- [ProvAbbr]: The abbreviation for the provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- [ProvName]: The provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- Click OK to save the rule.
We recommend testing the rule and message prior to sending. Make sure you meet character limitations, that replacement tags work, and that the message appears as intended.
Aggregated Messages: When one or more appointments on the same day share a common patient email address and/or wireless phone number, the associated eReminders will be grouped together into one long text message or email using a standardized template that cannot be modified.
Allow eMessages from Appts w/o Clinic
This is a general option that applies to both eReminders and eConfirmations when the clinic on an appointment is set to 'none'.
- Checked: eMessages will be sent to all appointments, even if no clinic is assigned.
- Unchecked: Appointments with no clinic will not be sent a message.
Activate the eReminder Service
When rules, confirmation status, and automation options are set up correctly, activate the service to begin sending eReminders.
On the Automated eReminders and eConfirmations tab, click Activate eReminders. The button label will toggle to 'Deactivate eReminders.
Note: To stop all eReminders from sending, click Deactivate eReminders.
How can I prevent an eReminder being sent for a specific appointment/patient?
To the appointment, apply a Confirmed status that is marked as 'Don't Send' for eReminders.
To mark a status as 'Don't Send':
- In the Confirmation Statuses grid, double click the appointment confirmation status.
- On the Edit Definition window under eReminders, check 'Exclude when sending'.
- Patient doesn't want to receive automated eReminders at all. Set the Confirmed status for all appointments to a status that won't send.
- Patient has multiple scheduled appointments on the same day (e.g. one with hygienist followed by one with the doctor). Set the Confirmed status of the later appointment to a status that won't send.
General eService Troubleshooting