Sign up and Set up eConfirmations
eConfirmations are automated text message and/or email reminders about upcoming appointments that also allow the patient to
- Sign up for eConfirmations. Service fees apply.
- Create eConfirmation Rules. Rules determine when and how an eConfirmation is sent, and the eConfirmation message.
- Specify the Confirmation Status to apply to appointments when an eConfirmation has been sent, accepted, not accepted,
- Activate the eConfirmation service.
Webinar: Automated Messages - eReminders and eConfirmations
Create an eConfirmation Rule
eConfirmation rules determine when eConfirmations are sent, the delivery method, and the message text. One future day rule can be created per clinic.
- In the main menu, click eServices, then eConfirmations.
- If using Clinics, select the clinic.
Clinic considerations: You can create default rules that are used by all or some clinics, or different rules for each clinic. Automation can also be turned on/off per clinic.
- Default Rules: Select 'Defaults' as the clinic, then create the rules. To apply default rules to a clinic, select the clinic, then check 'Use Defaults'.
- Clinic-specific rules: Select the clinic, uncheck 'Use Defaults', then create the rules.
- Automation: To turn on/off automation by clinic, select the clinic, then check/uncheck 'Enable Automation for Clinic'.
- Click Add Confirmation to create a new rule, or double click an existing rule to edit.
- Lead Time: Set how far in advance, in days, an eConfirmation can be sent (1 - X days).
- To disable the eConfirmation without deleting it, enter 0 as a lead time.
- The automated eServices schedule also affects send time. See eServices Miscellaneous Tab.
- Send Order: Select how eConfirmations will be sent.
- Check Send All to send via text message and email, if patient has both options.
- Or, set a specific delivery method order.
The method listed first will be attempted first. If unsuccessful, the second method will be attempted. If that is unsuccessful, the third method will be attempted. Highlight a method, then click the up/down arrows to reorder it.
- Preferred: Use the
patient's preferred confirmation method to send the message.
- Text: Send text messages.
- Email: Send email messages.
To send text messages, sign up for Integrated Texting. To send emails, set up Email.
- Customize the eConfirmation message for text messages and/or emails.
- Text Message: The text used for text messages.
- Email Subject and Body: The subject line and body text used for emails.
To insert data from the database into the message text, use 'Template Replacement Tags'.
- [ApptDate]: The date of the appointment.
- [ApptTime]: The start time of the appointment.
- [ApptTimeAskedArrive]: The time the patient is asked to arrive.
- [ClinicName]: The name of the clinic (Clinic Setup).
- [ClinicPhone]: The phone number of the clinic. See Time Asked to Arrive.
- [NameF]: Patient's first name.
- [PracticeName]: The practice name (Practice Setup)
- [PracticePhone]: The practice phone number.
- [ProvAbbr]: The abbreviation for the provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- [ProvName]: The provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- [ConfirmCode]: Include the short code 'C' in an integrated text message. Example: Reply [ConfirmCode] to confirm = Reply C to confirm. When patient texts back a 'C', the appointment confirmation status will change to the 'Accepted' status.
[ConfirmURL]: Creates a URL link the patient can click to confirm their appointment or request a call back.
- Click OK to save the rule.
We recommend testing the rule and message prior to sending. Make sure you meet character limitations, that replacement tags work, and that the message appears as intended.
Aggregated Messages: When one or more appointments on the same day share a common patient email address and/or wireless phone number, the associated eConfirmations will be grouped into one long text message or email using a standardized, uneditable template. If a patient responds to the eConfirmation, it will change the confirmation status for all appointments in the message.
Confirmation Status Options
Each time an eConfirmation is sent, the Appointment Confirmation Status can also update automatically. Status options list under the Confirmation Statusus grid.
eConfirmation Settings: Set the default status to apply in the each circumstance:
- Sent: The status applied when an eConfirmation is sent.
- Accepted: The status applied when a patient confirms the appointment (via the URL link or confirmation code).
- Not Accepted: The status applied when a patient replies 'Request Phone Call' on the URL link. When a patient requests a call back, an Alert will also notify staff.
- Failed: The status applied when the eConfirmation fails to send.
How can I prevent an eConfirmation being sent for a specific appointment/patient?
To the appointment, apply a Confirmed status that is marked as 'Don't Send' for eConfirmations.
To mark a status as 'Don't Send':
- In the Confirmation Statuses grid, double click the appointment confirmation status.
- On the Edit Definition window, check 'Exclude when sending' under eConfirmations.
Example: Ignore appointments that are already marked 'confirmed'.
Q How do I stop the system from automatically updating the appointment confirmation status when
an eConfirmation is sent?
To the appointment, apply a a Confirmed status that is marked as 'Don't Change for eConfirmations.
To mark a status as 'Don't Change':
- Under Confirmation Statuses, double click the appointment confirmation status.
- On the Edit Definition window, check 'Exclude when confirming' under eConfirmations.
Example: Don't update same-day status such as those that trigger Time Arrived, Time Seated, and Time Dismissed.
Allow eMessages from Appts w/o Clinic
This is a general option that applies to both eReminders and eConfirmations when the clinic on an appointment is set to 'none'.
- Checked: eMessages will be sent to all appointments, even if no clinic is assigned.
- Unchecked: Appointments with no clinic will not be sent a message.
When rules, confirmation status, and automation options are set up correctly, activate the service to begin sending eConfirmations.
On the Automated eReminders and eConfirmations tab, click Activate eConfirmations. The button label will toggle to 'Deactivate eConfirmations'.
Note: To stop using the eConfirmations eService, click Deactivate eConfirmations, then contact Open Dental support to stop charges on your account.
General eService Troubleshooting
What happens when a patient clicks the eConfirmation URL and selects Request Callback?
The appointment status changes to the status selected for 'Not Accepted' and an Alert in Open Dental will notify staff (those subscribed to the Patient Requested Callback alert).