If your practice offers in-house discount plans (e.g. for patients that do not have insurance) use the discount plan feature. This feature uses discount adjustments to reduce the full procedure fee. The adjustment amount is calculated by subtracting the discount plan's procedure fee from the Provider's UCR fee.
Below is a quick synopsis of how to use discount plans. Detailed instructions follow.
- Create the discount plan.
- Attach the discount plan to the patient (instead of insurance).
- Enter treatment procedures.
- In the Treatment Plan module, fee estimates will consider discount plan fees.
- When a procedure is set complete, an adjustment attached to the procedure will be automatically added to the patient's account (Adjustment = Provider's fee - Discount Plan fee).
- Patients can have a discount plan or an insurance plan, not both.
- To set up a membership discount plan in version 16.3 and earlier, see Membership Discount Plans.
Create a Discount Plan
There are three main steps:
- Create the adjustment type that will be used for the discount plan's adjustments.
- Create the discount plan's fee schedule and enter its fees.
- Create the discount plan (associate the adjustment type and fee schedule).
Step 1: Create the adjustment type that will be associated with adjustments for the discount plan.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Definitions, Adj Types.
- Click Add.
- Name the new adjustment type, enter 'dp' to flag it as a discount plan adjustment, then click OK.
Step 2: Create a fee schedule for the discount plan and enter its fees. See Enter Procedure Code Fees.
Step 2: Create the Discount Plan.
- In the main menu, click Setup, Family/Insurance, Discount Plans.
- Click Add.
- Description: Enter the name of the discount plan.
- Adjustment Type: Click the dropdown to select the adjustment type to use for the discount plan. Only adjustment types flagged as 'dp' are options.
- Fee Schedule: Click [...] to select the discount plan's fee schedule.
- Click OK to save.
Attach a Discount Plan
Discount plans can only be attached to patients with no insurance.
- In the Family module, select the patient.
- In the toolbar, click Discount Plan.
- Select the Discount Plan to apply. It will list under a Discount Plan area (which replaces the Insurance Plan area).
Remove a Discount Plan
To detach a discount plan from a patient, in the Family module, click the Discount Plan dropdown, then Remove Discount Plan.