Dunning messages are notes and email messages that show on Batch Billing statements generated via the Billing List. The messages are generated based on account aging, insurance pending, billing type, or a combination of these criteria.
Example: Create a dunning message that applies a precollections warning in the statement bold note for accounts with a balance aged over 90 days. Additionally, set the dunning message to include a precollections email message.
To view dunning messages, in the Manage Module, click Billing, then on the Billing Options window, click Setup Dunning.
Messages that meet the filter criteria will list. Dunning messages can be filtered by clinic then sorted by criteria complexity: messages with more general criteria appear higher in the list and messages with stricter criteria appear lower. The first message that matches the billing criteria will be used, starting from the bottom up (lower listed messages take precedence).
- Only one dunning message will be used on any bill.
- The dunning message Email Statement template overrides the Billing Defaults, Email Statements template.
- If a Billing Defaults, General Message exists, it will appear on the statement note above any dunning message.
- Dunning messages do not show when Generating Single Statements.
To print and email the same statement, we recommend copying the email and/or statement dunning message to a Quick Paste Note. Use the statement generated via the Bills list to email the dunning message. Manually generate a single statement from the patient's account, insert the quick paste note, then print and mail it.
Add or Edit Dunning Messages
- On the Billing Options window, click Setup Dunning.
- Click Add to create a new dunning message. Double click an existing message to edit.
To copy an existing message, highlight it, click Duplicate, then edit its criteria.
- Billing Type: Highlight the billing type(s) to assign the message to. Customize options in Definitions: Billing Types. Billing type is set on the Edit Patient Information Window.
- Age of Account: Select the account age the message will apply to. See Aging for details about how aging is calculated.
Days in Adv: Enter a value if you want to trigger the dunning message a certain number of days before an account reaches an aging bucket. If 0, the message will be triggered at day 30, 60, or 90, depending on age of account selected.
- Insurance Payment Pending: Select whether to include patients who have insurance payments pending (yes), exclude them (no), or if it doesn't matter.
- Statement Notes: Enter the message. Text entered as a Message appears once at the bottom of the statement. Text entered as a Bold Message appears in bold red at the top and bottom of the statement.
To edit placement of statement notes, See Customizing a Statement Using Sheets.
- Email Statement Override: Enter the subject and/or message body for emailed statements. Variables can be used. This message will override the Billing Defaults email message.
- Click OK to save the message.
To use the clinic assigned dunning message when doing billing for all clinics, check Use clinic default billing options in the Billing Options window before creating the Bills list. If this is not checked, the default practice/unassigned general message will be used.