Use Open Dental's built-in tool to Back Up and restore data. This tool can back up the following data:
- Open Dental Database: The MySQL database where your patient data is stored. By default, it is located at C:\MySQL\Data\OpenDental\.
- A to Z Folders: Scanned or imported files are stored here. Typically C:\OpenDentImages. See Data Paths.
This tool does not Encrypt data, so consider an encrypted device or encryption software to ensure data is protected while in storage. To use the backup tool, you must have the security Permission 'Backup'.
- Connect the backup device (e.g. USB encrypted flash drive) to the server.
- In the Manage module, click Backup.
- By default, the A to Z folders are backed up and restored. To change this and NOT include the A to Z folders in the backup/restore, check the 'Exclude image folder from backup or restore' box.
- Verify the database path to back up ('Backup database FROM this folder'). Typically it is C:\mysql\data\. Click Browse to select a different path.
- Verify the drive or folder to back up the data to ('Backup TO this folder'). The letter will differ depending on your computer's drives. In the simplest case, it would be D:\. Click Browse to select a different drive.
- Click Backup. A message will display when the backup is complete. If the destination drive does not have enough space for a complete backup, a notification appears and backup stops.
Managed Backups: Central Data Storage is a preferred online backup service. Click the button to see more information; you will not be charged. To remove this button, disable the CDS Bridge then check 'Hide Unused Button'.
You should test backups regularly to make sure they will restore correctly when needed. The location of the restore will depend on your practice. For many, at home will be a practical choice. The name of the backed up database must match the name of the restored database.
- On the 'restore' computer, make sure you have a working copy of Open Dental that runs. If not, install the Trial version and make sure it is working properly. It
- Insert the flash drive in the 'restore' computer.
- Start Open Dental and open the Manage module.
- Click Backup.
- In the Backup window, there are three lines for restore options (below backup options). Click Browse to locate correct paths if needed
Restore FROM: The letter of the flash drive. It is not necessarily the same as the one at the office. In the simplest case, it is D:\.
b) Restore database TO: The path to restore the database to.
c) Restore A-Z images to this folder:
The path to restore the A to Z folders to.
- Click Restore. A message will ask if you want to restore from the backup on the flash drive (with date).
- Click OK and the restore process begins.
- As soon as the restore is finished, close Open Dental.
- Start OpenDental again.
- The Data Paths window will open. In the first line you will see the name of your office server. Change it to the name of your 'restore' computer (C:\OpenDentImages). Leave the other options as they are.
- Click OK and your OpenDental software should finish opening.
Note: If the restored database version does not match the current version of Open Dental, Open Dental will automatically close and you will have to relaunch.
Tips for advanced users:
- If you experience problems with restore, try running Open Dental as Administrator.
you changed the name of the database from opendental, you must also change it on the new computer before attempting the restore.
What not to do:
- Do not restore a backup over an existing database. Instead rename the existing database, then restore.
- Do not replace tables within a database with tables from another database. You will have foreign key issues.