This information is for advanced IT users only. If you don't understand any of these steps, something does not go as expected, or you have errors, please Contact Open Dental.
Before you begin, make a backup of the original data on the old server (A to Z folders / OpenDentImages and mysql/data folder).
Customers using eServices or HL7 services should contact Open Dental Support after performing a Server Migration to ensure services are running and confirm access to those features.
Migrate to a New Server
On the old server:
- Stop the MySQL Service. Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, MySQL. Right-click and select Properties, Stop. Do not click OK.
- Disable the MySQL service to make sure workstations no longer point to the older server. Change the Startup Type from Automatic to Disabled then click OK. If, for some reason, you want to use this computer again as a backup server, you can just set it back to Automatic and restart the MySQL service.
- Make a copy of the database and save it to a flash drive or removable drive. Databases can also be copied across the network. The database is usually found at c:\mysql\data and in a directory named opendental.
- Make a copy of the OpenDentImages folder and also save it to your flash drive or removable drive (usually found at c:\OpenDentImages).
On the new server:
- Download the Trial Version.
- Install MySQL using the Trial Installer. Right click on the Trial version and Run as administrator. Only check the boxes for:
- MySQL Server
- MySQL 5.5 grant tables
Note: Do not check the boxes for Open Dental Program or opendental Database. These will be copied from the old server.
- UNCHECK the Launch the MySQL Instance Configuration Wizard checkbox at the end of the MySQL installation.
- Put the copy of the database on the new server into the MySQL folder. The database is usually found at c:\mysql\data.
- Create, share, and set full access on the newly-created OpenDentImages folder. Usually at c:\OpenDentImages.
- Put the copy of the ODI folder you have migrated from the old server into the same directory as newly-created ODI folder, merging the folders. You may continue to step 8 while the merge is being performed
Note: If you get a warning of more than three duplicate files (typically the claim form images included in an Open Dental installation), cancel and ensure you are copying into the correct folder.
- From the OpenDentImages folder, right click on setup.exe, then Run as administrator to install Open Dental.
- Start Open Dental (Run as administrator) and if requested, enter the new Server Name. If Open Dental opens directly, see step #4.
- If the Data Paths window opens (Data Paths Setup), make sure the paths point to the new server (e.g. \\NewServer\OpenDentImages). If it does not open, click Setup, Data Paths to ensure the paths point to the new server.
- Open Port 3306 in the Windows Firewall (if needed).
- Start Open Dental on one workstation (Run as administrator). On the Choose Database window, enter the new server name. You should not have to edit paths.
- Repeat step 11 for all workstations.
When using Open Dental eServices: If the eConnector service is installed on the server (typical), disable the service then install the eConnector on the new server.