In the Main Menu, click Tools, Send Mass Email.
Mass Emails is an eService that allows users to send an email to a selected list of patients at once. Activate Mass Email in eServices Setup.
- Create an email template ahead of time. This gives you time to customize, edit, and review the template before sending it out.
- Select the list of patients to send to. Use the filters to help customize the list.
- Once you have the patient list, select the template you created.
- Preview the email, then send the mass email.
- Use analytics to track sent emails. See how many were opened, how many failed, and more.
The following items show regardless of the selected tab:
- # of Patients: Number of patients selected for the mass email.
- Send Emails: When the patients and template have been selected, click to send the mass email. Emails are sent from the default email address or the email address associated with the clinic.
Use the Patients tab to filter patients and create a list of patients to send to.
- Preferred Contact Method: Filter by preferred contact method. See Edit Patient Information.
- Any: Patient has any method set as preferred contact method.
- Email: Patient has email set as preferred contact method.
- None: Patient does not have a preferred contact method set.
- Patient Status: Filter by patient status. Options include:
- Patient Billing Type: Filter by Billing Type.
- Exclude patient who received a mass email: Check to exclude patients who recently received a mass email.
- In the last __ days: Enter the number of days to exclude patients if they received another mass email in that time frame.
- Hide patients with future appointments: Filter patients who have a scheduled appointment.
- Exclude patients not seen since: Check to exclude patients who have not been seen since the entered date.
- Exclude patients seen since: Check to exclude patients who have been seen since the entered date.
- Patient Age: Enter the age range. The default is 1 to 110.
- Clinic: Filter by patients assigned to the selected clinic. Select All to show all patients.
Once patients are filtered, select patients to move to the Selected Patients list.
- Select patients one-by-one, or use Cntrl+Click to select multiple, then use the Left and Right arrows to move them.
- Click Select All to highlight all patients, then use the Left and Right arrows to move them.
Email messages are first created as a template, then sent to the selected patients.
Open Dental has included some templates as a default. All templates can be edited and are HTML capable.
- New Template: Create a new email template. See HTML Email for additional information.
- Import: Import an html file to use.
- Edit Template: Edit the currently selected template. See Email Templates.
- Delete: Delete the currently selected template.
- Copy: Make a copy of the currently selected template.
Use the Analytics tab to track sent emails.
- From / To Dates: Select the date range the mass email was sent. Use the Week buttons to quickly move from week to week.
- Clinic: Filter by the clinic the emails were sent from.
- Refresh: When the date range and clinic is set, click to update the results.
Sending Mass Emails
When the patients and template are selected, click Send Emails. The following window will appear.
By default, fields will not display with replacements (e.g. practice name, patient name, etc). Select a patient to view an example of the email.
- Display rendering with replaced data: First select a patient, then check this box to display the example.
- Select Patient [...] : Click to open the Select Patient window. Select a patient from the list to show as the example.
To send the mass email:
- In the Patients tab, select the patients to send to.
- In the Templates tab, select the email template.
- Click Send Emails. The following prompt will appear. Click Yes to continue, or No to cancel.
- Name the email group. This helps with tracking analytics later on.
- A message will appear confirming the emails have been sent. Click OK to finish.