Security permissions control a user's access to, or use of, an Open Dental feature or log a user's actions in the Audit Trail. Permissions are assigned by user group. Refer to Security Permissions for a list of all permissions and their behavior. If you are unsure of what permissions to assign to each user group, it may be useful to temporarily assign permissions, then adjust as you go. We do advise that the Security Admin permission only be given to the Admin user.
- Some permissions also have a User Group Lock Date option to prevent users from entering historical data.
- To assign permissions to an individual user, create a user group for that individual.
To assign permissions:
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Security, then select the User Groups tab.
- Highlight the user group. Its current permissions will be checked under Permissions for group.
- For each permission to allow, check the permission box. Uncheck a box to remove access. To automatically check all permissions except Security Admin, click Set All. The Security Admin permission should only be given to the Admin user.
- If a permission allows user group lock dates, this window will open when the permission is checked.
To set a date limitation, enter a value in the Date or Days field, then click OK to save. If left blank, there will be no lock date.
- Date: Changes will only be allowed if they occur before the date entered.
- Days: Changes will only be allowed within a set amount of days from the original entry date.