To write and transmit an electronic prescription in the Legacy eRx interface, follow the steps below.
- In the Chart Module, click eRx. Internet Explorer will open with the Compose Rx tab selected. If you do not see the interface, check the task bar to ensure that Internet Explorer is the focus.
- In the Drug Search field, enter the medication name, then click Drug Search.
All matching results will display. If using the comprehensive version and you have attached an insurance formulary to this patient, formulary status appears in the first column. Click a formulary link to see therapeutic alternatives. See Legacy eRx Drug Formulary Checks.
- Click on the medication name to select it.
If using comprehensive, monograph, leaflet and patient education links show at the top. Click to access.Once you select the drug, the system will check for severe drug-drug or drug-allergy Interactions and display an alert if applicable. To change medications, close the alert, then cancel and delete the order. Then repeat step 2 - 3.
The medication will be in a pending status.
- Some information may automatically populate. Edit as needed. Frequency must always be selected. You may need to scroll up or down to find the correct dosage or frequency value.
- Additional Sig field is limited to 210 characters.
- To associate an ICD code to the prescription, assign the code in the Procedure - Medical Tab of a completed or treatment planned procedure in Open Dental before clicking eRx.
- To save this medication to the doctor's Favorites List, check the box labeled Save this sig and add to Doctor's List.
- Click Save Rx.
- Review the current medication order for accuracy.
- To make changes, click EDIT.
- To remove the entire order, click [X].
- To add another medication, repeat steps 2 - 4.
- When you are finished entering medications, click one of the following to proceed.
- Review/Prescribe: Presents the user with several more options.
- Finish/add to current meds: Add it as a current prescription but NOT send it. (e.g. a patient reported medication.)
- Print Rx/Add to Current Meds: Print the prescription. Will not be sent electronically.
- Approve/Leave for Staff: Send the prescription back to the pending status.
- Proceed to Transmit Page: Takes user to the transmission page.
- Transmit/Prescribe: Takes user directly to the transmission page.
- When using Legacy eRx comprehensive, the system will check for interactions with current medications, allergies, and diagnoses and display applicable alerts. See Legacy eRx Drug-Drug, Drug-Allergy Interaction Checks. If necessary, edit medications.
- When you are satisfied with the medications entered, there are several options:
- Print Rx/Add to Current Meds: Print selected prescription(s) and save the medication to the eRx list of current medications.
- Transmit Rx: Proceed with transmitting selected prescription(s) electronically.
- Return / Additional Rx: Create another prescription.
- If you choose to transmit the prescription, the Transmit Rx window shows. Select the pharmacy to send the prescription to.
If prescribing a controlled substance, select a pharmacy denoted with a C on the green dot. These pharmacies can handle the electronic transmission of controlled substances.
- For non-controlled substances, click Transmit Rx/Add to Record to transmit the prescription.
- For controlled substances, choose one of three options:
- Click Send Push Notification in Legacy eRx interface. The provider will receive a notification on their mobile device. Click Approve or Deny.
- Click the Hardware Token radio button in the Legacy eRx interface. Press the button on the hardware token, and enter the generated code into the Enter Code field.
- Open the Authy App and enter the displayed code.
The completed prescription will automatically copy to the patient's medication list and Progress Notes when you do one of the following:
- The first time the Chart module is opened after a patient is selected.
- After clicking the eRx button, then closing the eRx window.
- Manually clicking the eRx drop down in the toolbar, then Refresh.
To set up automation options in Open Dental, see Automation, RxCreate trigger.
Discontinued medications: When a medication is marked as discontinued in Legacy eRx, the medication will also be marked discontinued (Stop Date entered) in Open Dental when the Chart module is refreshed.
EHR users: Check to make sure RxNorms are attached to medications.
Periodically check for rejected prescriptions so no prescriptions slip through the cracks.
To electronically prescribe controlled substances you must go through additional identity proofing and set up two-factor verification.