There are two ways to launch the Kiosk:
- Load forms then launch the kiosk on the same computer. This method is useful when you are using an operatory computer as the kiosk.
- Load forms and launch the kiosk remotely. This requires activating each kiosk (e.g. in the reception area), then using the Kiosk Manager on a different computer to remotely load patient forms.
Passwords: Regardless of which method is used to load forms and launch the kiosk, we recommend creating a password that must be entered before the kiosk can be closed. The password is entered and saved in the Kiosk Manager (see below) and will be required when a user attempts to close the kiosk on a workstation.
While using a kiosk, a skilled user could forcefully shut down Open Dental, but as long as you have set up Security, will never gain access to the rest of the program. If you have setup security in Windows, their access to other programs should also be limited.
Launch the Kiosk on the Same Computer
- Select the patient.
- Load the patient's forms.
- Click Forms in the Main Toolbar to open the Patient Forms window.
- Click Add, select a form, then click To Kiosk.
- Repeat for each form. The order the forms will show is determined by the Kiosk Order number.
- On the Patient Forms window, click Kiosk to launch the kiosk. The first form will show.
- Have the patient complete the forms, then click Done when complete.
Launch the Kiosk Remotely / Kiosk Manager
Use the Kiosk Manager to remotely load patient forms to kiosks on separate workstations. For example, activate a kiosk in your reception area, then from the receptionist's desk, run the Kiosk Manager to remotely load patient forms to the reception area kiosk. The Kiosk Manager can be run on multiple computers and remain open while you use Open Dental. On each computer where the patients will fill out forms:
On each computer where the patients will fill out forms: In the main menu, click Tools, Kiosk to activate the kiosk.
From a different computer (e.g. the receptionist's computer):
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Kiosk Manager. The active kiosks will show in the Active Kiosks list.
If accessing kiosks using Remote Desktop Protocol
or Citrix, each kiosk is identifiable by computer and session name. If you launch Kiosk from the same connection twice, you may be asked to enter a unique identifiable name.
- Select the patient (e.g. click on their appointment).
- Load the patient's forms.
- Click Forms in the toolbar.
- On the Patient Forms window, click Add, select a form, then click To Kiosk.
- Repeat for each form. The order the forms will present to the patient is determined by the Kiosk Order number.
- In the Kiosk Manager, the current patient name and selected forms will show on the right. Click on the active kiosk where the patient will fill out forms, then click Load Patient. After a few moments, the patient will see the first form in the Kiosk window.
When the patient completes the forms and clicks Done, the kiosk will clear and the patient will no longer show as active in the Kiosk Manager.
- If you accidentally load the wrong patient, click on the row, then click Clear Patient.
- Set and save a password that will be required to close the kiosk on a workstation. This will prevent patients from accessing other data.
- While the patient is filling out forms, no staff member will have access to the patient's Edit Patient Information window.
- To remove a computer from the Active Kiosk list, when it is clear that a kiosk is not actually running on that computer, click Delete.