To install Open Dental on a client workstation properly, eClinicalWorks customers need three items.
- The Open Dental installation location (where eCW expects to find the OpenDental.exe file). It is almost always "C:\Open Dental\" but can also be something else. If you are unsure of the install location, contact Open Dental.
- The Setup.exe file for the current Open Dental version. It is located in the 'Setup Files' subfolder of the shared A to Z folders / OpenDentImages used by Open Dental (often \\Server\OpenDentImages\SetupFiles). If you cannot locate the correct setup file, contact Open Dental.
- The FreeDentalConfig.xml file from a working computer, located in the install directory (usually C:\Open Dental\FreeDentalConfig.xml).
Once you have the three items, to install Open Dental on a new workstation follow these steps.
- On the new workstation, right click on the Setup.exe file and Run as administrator.
- Change the installation directory to the directory where eCW expects to find the Open Dental.exe (#1 above.)
- Copy the Freedentalconfig.xml file to the Open Dental installation directory.
The new workstation should now be operational.