Add a New Procedure Code
Adding Procedure Codes is a way to create non-CDT codes. For example, create codes for supplies you dispense (mouthwash, toothpaste), when running a promotion on a procedure, or add codes used in a Foreign Country. The Setup Permission is required.
Note: To update CDT codes automatically, see Procedure Code Tools.
- In the main menu, click Lists, Procedure Codes.
- In the lower left, under Procedure Codes, click + New.
If entering a series of new codes, the code last added will show under Previously Entered Code for reference.
- Select the Type of the new code. Depending on the selection, some fields on the right will populate.
- Complete each field listed under 'Edit these fields for each new code'. These fields are required.
Select other procedure code options as needed. For more details about each option, see Edit Procedure
- Procedure Code: The new code. Up to 15 numbers, letters, or symbols are allowed. All codes starting with D will be shortened to 5 characters before being included on a insurance Claim. For example, you can have two different codes for nitrous, with the difference being a letter that is added to the end of a standard D code. When sent to insurance, only the standard 5 digit code will be used.
- Description: If this code starts with D and is billed to insurance, the description will show on the claim.
Click Add, then another to save the procedure code and keep the New Code window open.
- Do not usually bill to insurance: Code will not be included on insurance claims.
- Is Hygiene Procedure: Automatically assign the procedure to the hygiene provider when scheduling an appointment with two providers.
- Is Prothesis: Additional prosthesis replacement information must be entered for the procedure before sending a claim.
- Paint Type: Determines how the procedure will be drawn on the Graphical Tooth Chart.
- Treatment Area: Determines the surface and tooth options available when charting the procedure.
- Category: The category this procedure code will be organized under.
Click Add to save the procedure code and close the window.
Click Close to close the window without saving the procedure code.
The new procedure code will appear in the Procedure Code List under its category.