Here you can set default options and settings for the Family Module. Preferences are divided into tabs:
- Super Family (only if Super Families are turned on.)
- Claim Snapshot: Only an option if the claim snapshot trigger is Service or Insurance Payment Received. These were options in version 17.2 and earlier.
In the Main Menu, click Setup, Family/Insurance, Family Preferences, or Setup, Module Preferences, Family tab.
InsPlan option at bottom, 'Change Plan for all subscribers', is default: Normally checked. Determines the default setting for the Change Plan for all subscribers radio button on the Edit Insurance Plan Window.
- Checked: The radio button will default to checked, and changes to an insurance plan will apply to all subscribers.
- Unchecked: The radio button will default to unchecked and changes to an insurance plan will spawn a new plan.
Insurance defaults to PPO percentage instead of category percentage plan type: Sets the default Plan Type when you create a new insurance plan.
Use Blue Book: Turn on/off the Blue Book feature.
Co-pay fee schedules treat blank entries as zero: Set how blank entries in co-pay fee schedules are handled.
- Checked: Blank entries are treated as 0.
- Unchecked: Blank entries will not affect insurance estimates.
Insurance plans default to show UCR fee on claims: Set the default setting for the Claims show UCR fee, not billed fee box for category percentage plan types.
- Checked: The box defaults to checked.
- Unchecked: The box defaults to unchecked.
Insurance plans default to assignment of benefits: Set the default setting for the Assignments of Benefits check box when adding a new insurance plan.
- Checked: The box defaults to checked.
- Unchecked: The box defaults to unchecked.
Coordination of Benefits (COB) Rule: Set the default Coordination of Benefits (COB) selected when adding a new insurance plan.
Text Msg OK status, treat ?? as No instead of Yes: Set the default the behavior of ?? for Text OK on the Edit Patient Information Window. By default this box is checked.
- Checked: ?? will mean No and you will be unable to send text messages to this patient (text buttons will be disabled). This is the default.
- Unchecked: ?? acts as Yes for a patient's Text OK status. Text messages will be sent to the patient.
Allow Guarantor access to family health information in the patient portal: Determines whether guarantors will have access to other family member's health information in the Patient Portal. This is a global setting.
- Checked: Guarantor will have portal access to health information for all family members. This is the default setting.
- Unchecked: Guarantor will only have portal access to their own health information.
Calculate secondary insurance PPO writeoffs (not recommended, see manual): We do not recommend turning this preference on.
- Unchecked: Secondary insurance plan write-offs will not be calculated (recommended).
- Checked: Secondary insurance plans with a PPO percentage plan type will calculate write-offs when the primary insurance doesn't have a write-off (not recommended).
Show Google Maps in patient edit: Determines whether the Show Maps button is visible on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Checked: The button shows. Click to open the patient's address in Google Maps.
- Unchecked: The button does not show.
Primary Provider defaults to 'Select Provider' in patient edit and add family: Determines the default setting for the Primary Provider when a new patient is added (Edit Patient Information and Add Family window).
- Checked: Primary provider dropdown defaults to Select Provider for new patients.
- Unchecked: When you click Add Pt on the Select Patient window, primary provider will default to default practice provider, or if using Clinics, the selected clinic's default provider. When you add a patient to an existing family (click Add in the Family module), the primary provider will default to the selected patient's primary provider.
Use the description for the charted procedure code on printed claims: Determines the procedure description used on printed claims when the charted procedure code description is different than the base procedure code description (e.g. when the description for D2999b [charted] is different than the description for D2999 [base]).
- Unchecked: The base procedure code's description is used.
- Checked: The charted procedure code's description is used.
This preference will not affect alternate or medical codes.
Require error code when adding custom claim tracking status: Determines whether or not an error code must be selected when a custom Edit Claim - Status History Tab is selected.
- Unchecked: A claim tracking status can be added to a claim without selecting an error code.
- Checked: An error code must be selected when a claim tracking status is added to a claim.
New patient primary insurance plan sets patient billing type: Affects the billing type assigned to new patients. Customize options in Definitions: Billing Types.
- Unchecked: Billing type is assigned on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Checked: When a billing type is assigned to a newly created primary insurance plan, the patient's billing type on the Edit Patient Information window will change to match the insurance plan's billing type. Note that this only happens for new primary insurance plans; changing an insurance plan's billing type will not change the patient's billing type.
Show preferred referrals only in the ‘Select Referral' window by default: When adding a referral for a patient, show only referrals marked as preferred.
Autofill patient's email address with the guarantor's when adding many new patients.:When adding a family using Add Many, autofill the guarantor's email address into other family members.
Allow new patients to be added with an unassigned clinic: Only visible when Clinics is turned on.
- Checked: Allow staff to add a new patient who has a clinic of Unassigned.
- Unchecked: Require staff to assign a clinic when adding a new patient.
Super Family Tab
Only an option if Super Families is turned on.
Super family sorting strategy: Determines the order of super family names as they appear in the Family module. Refresh the Family module to view changes. The super head will always show at the top of the list regardless of sorting strategy.
- NameAsc: Sort by last names in ascending alphabetical order (A-Z).
- NameDesc: Sort by last names in descending alphabetical order (Z-A).
- PatNumAsc: Sort by patient numbers in ascending order. The patient with the lowest number will be first, followed by patients with higher numbers.
- PatNumDesc: Sort by patient numbers in descending order. The patient with the highest number will be first, followed by patients with lower numbers.
Allow syncing patient information to all super family members: Determines whether the Same for entire super family check box shows on the Edit Patient Information window for the head of the super family. This box allows you to make the address and phone information for all super family members match the address and phone information of the super head.
- Checked: The check box will show on the Edit Patient Information window of the head of the super family.
- Unchecked: The check box will not show.
Copy super guarantor's primary insurance to all new super family members: Determines whether or not the user is prompted to copy the super head's primary insurance plan when adding a new family to a super family. Useful for patients in nursing home situations.
- Checked: When a new family is added to a super family, user will be prompted to copy the super head's primary insurance plan to all patients in the family. By default, the insurance plan will have a Relationship to Subscriber of self and use the patient's Medicaid ID as the Subscriber ID. If there is no Medicaid ID, user will be prompted to enter a subscriber ID.
- Unchecked: No prompt is given when a new family is added to a super family.
New patient clones use super family instead of regular family: Determines the family behavior for new Patient Clones.
- Unchecked: New patient clones will inherit the family and super family of the original patient (old behavior).
- Checked: Place new patient clones in a new family, and, if no super family already exists for the original patient, create a new super family with the guarantor of the original patient as the super head and the clone as a super family member.
Claim Snapshot Tab
A claim snapshot is a snapshot of claim information, captured at a specific time, that is used to track the difference between estimated and actual write-offs in various reports. In version 17.3, it is always captured when the claim is created, unless another trigger has been set in a previous version (see below).
The Claim Snapshot tab only shows when the claim snapshot trigger is set to Service or Insurance Payment Received (these options were available in versions 17.2 and earlier). Once the trigger is set to Claim Created (the default), this tab is no longer visible.
Snapshot Trigger: Select the action that will trigger a snapshot.
- Claim Created: Capture a snapshot when a new claim is created. This is the default.
- Service - Specific Time: Take a snapshot at a specific time using the OpenDentalService. Today's date is taken from the DateComplete column instead of the ProcDate column. If selected, enter the time in the Service Run Time field.
- Insurance Payment Received: Capture a snapshot when an insurance payment is received.
Note: If you need to change the snapshot trigger in version 17.3 or greater and do not see the Claim Snapshot tab, contact Open Dental support.