Account Module Preferences
In Account Module Preferences, set the default options and settings for the Account module. Preferences are divided into three tabs:
In the main menu, click Setup, Account or Setup, Module Preferences, Account tab.
Allow storing credit card numbers (this is a security risk):
- Checked: Credit card numbers and expiration dates can be stored in Credit Card Manage in plain text in the
database, which violates credit card security guidelines. The best practice is to instead store credit card numbers using tokens (see below).
- Unchecked: This information cannot be stored in Credit Card Manage.
Automatically store credit card tokens: If using X-Charge or PayConnect, this option is usually checked. It determines the default setting for the 'Save Token' checkbox when a charging a credit card using X-Charge or PayConnect. A token is encrypted credit card information (card number and expiration date). Tokens must be stored to use Recurring Charges.
- Checked: Set the default setting for the 'Save Token' box to checked.
- Unchecked: Sets the default setting for the 'Save Token' box to unchecked. Useful when you require the credit card to be presented for all transactions.
Patient Payments Use: Determines the default clinic for Patient Payments. There are three options:
- SelectedClinic: Use the clinic selected in the main menu under Clinics.
- PatientDefaultClinic: Use the patient's default clinic as set on the Edit Patient Information window. If the patient's clinic is 'Unassigned', the default clinic will be 'none'.
- SelectedExceptHQ: Use the clinic selected in the main menu, unless it is Headquarters. In that case, use the patient's clinic.
Payments prompt for Payment Type: Determines whether or not a payment type is automatically selected when entering a patient payment.
- Checked: Users must manually select the payment type when entering a payment (no default selected).
- Unchecked (default): The first payment type in the list will be selected by default when entering a patient payment.
Force users to attach procedures to adjustments: Determines whether attaching a procedure to adjustments is required or optional. Setting will only apply to new adjustments or changes to adjustments.
- Unchecked (default): Attaching a procedure to adjustments is optional.
- Checked: Attaching a procedure to adjustments is required.
Payments prompt for auto split: Select pay split prompt options.
- DoNotUse: This is old behavior. When user clicks OK on a payment, they will be asked 'Apply part of payment to other family members?' Answering yes will auto-create pay splits: one for the patient and another for other family members. Answering no will create a single pay split for the total payment amount allocated to the patient's primary provider.
- Prompt: When there are no pay splits and a user clicks OK on a payment, they will be asked 'Would you like to autosplit the payment to outstanding family balances?' Answering yes will open the Pay Split Manager. Answering no will create a single Pay Split for the total payment amount allocated to the patient's primary provider.
- Forced: When there are no pay splits and a user clicks OK on a payment, the Pay Split Manager will open automatically with suggested pay splits.
- Procedure Forced: Force payments to have pay splits that are attached to a procedure, unless the pay split is unallocated (provider = none, procedure = none). Unallocated payments will not have to be attached to a procedure.
Default unearned type for unallocated paysplits: Set the default Unearned Type for pay splits that are not allocated to providers. Options can be customized in Definitions, PaySplit Unearned Types. Prepayment is always an option.
charge adj type: Select the type of Adjustment that will be created when you apply Finance Charges to an account.
Billing charge adj type: Select the type of Adjustment that will be created when you apply Billing Charges to an account.
Sales Tax adj type: Select the default Adjustment Type to use when a Sales Tax is applied to a procedure (e.g. Sales Tax). Only 'addition' adjustment types show as options.
Sales Tax Percentage: Set the sales tax percentage to apply.
Bad Debt Adjustments: Mark specific Adjustment Types as Bad Debt (debts that won't be recovered). This data can be used in custom queries.
- Click Edit to view a list of available adjustment types.
Currently selected bad debt adjustment types are highlighted in blue. Check Show hidden to reveal adjustment types marked Hidden.
- Highlight the adjustment types to mark as bad debt. Press Ctrl while clicking to select multiple options.
- Click OK. The bad debt adjustment types will list.
Patient Payments allow future dated debits: Determines whether or not users can enter future dated payments.
- Checked: Allow users to enter future dated payments.
- Unchecked: Block user from entering future dated payments.
Note: While we allow you to do so, we do not recommend allowing future dated payments and other debits (credits) because it can cause accounting problems and violate generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Only enable this preference at your own risk.
- When you DO NOT include future dated debits in balance calculation, a patient may appear to owe the debit amount and you may attempt to collect it (again).
- When you DO include future dated debits in balance calculation, the balance on reports run on historical dates will not match the actual balance on the historical date since the future dated payment will be excluded.
Show provider income transfer window after entering insurance payment:
Set medical claims to institutional when using medical insurance:
- Checked: The default Claim Type will be set to 'institutional' when a medical claim is created.
- Unchecked: The default claim type will be set to 'medical' when a medical claim is created.
Claim Form treating provider shows Signature On File rather than name:
- Checked: The signature on file will show in the TreatingDentistSignature field on the claim form.
- Unchecked: The field will show the dentist's name typed out.
PPO writeoff description (blank for "Writeoff"): Determines the wording for insurance writeoffs used in the Description column of Account module and on statements. The default will be "Writeoff" if left blank.
Claim Attachment Export Path: Enter the path to the folder where images attached to a claim will be exported. See Claim - General tab.
On medical e-claims, send treating provider as ordering provider by default: Sets the default ordering provider sent in medical e-claims. Also see E-Claim Complexities.
- Checked: The procedure's treating provider will be the default ordering provider.
- Unchecked: There will be no default ordering provider.
On e-claims, send treating provider info for each separate procedure: Only applies
to E-claims. Paper Claims have no place to
include information for more than one treating provider. This option should be checked unless you have a very good reason for needing to not send information about treating providers.
Require ACN# in remarks on claims with ADDP group name: This was added for one specific customer, and can be ignored by everyone else.
Misc Account Tab
Balances don't subtract insurance estimate: Be careful. This will cause estimated balances due to exclude estimated insurance payments. This is generally only used if your patients are responsible
for all treatment as it is done, and you don't accept assignment of insurance benefits. All insurance payments
then go directly to the patients without involving the dental office.
- Unchecked (default): Balance due in the Account module and statements will include estimated insurance payments. The captions in the Account module will be Total, InsEst, Est Bal (bold red), and Pat Est Bal.
- Checked: Balance due in the Account module and statements will exclude estimated insurance payments. The captions in the Account module will be Balance (bold red), Ins Pending, After Ins, Pat Est Bal.
Aging calculated monthly instead of daily:
- Unchecked (default): Aging is automatically calculated daily. This is the recommended setting.
- Checked: Aging must be manually updated using the aging tool. The patient's Account will be based on the
last calculated date. We also recommend setting Global Lock Dates.
Show Payment Numbers in Account Module: This is needed for Foreign Countries and in Canada.
- Checked: Payment numbers will show in the payment description.
- Unchecked: Payment numbers will not show in the payment description.
Statements use Sheets: Select whether statements will use the classic layout or a custom layout designed in Sheets.
- Unchecked (default): Statements will use the classic statement layout (not Sheets).
- Checked: Statements will use the custom statement designed using Sheets. See Customize a Statement Using Sheets.
Pay Plans use Sheets: Select whether printed payment plans will use the classic layout or a custom layout designed in Sheets.
- Unchecked (default): Printed payment plans will use the classic format (not Sheets).
- Checked: Printed payment plans will use the custom payment plan layout designed using Sheets. A payment plan sheet can allow an electronic signatures. See Customize Printed Payment Plan Terms using Sheets.
Show Family Comm Entries By Default:
- Checked: The 'Show Family Comm Entries' box in the Account module, Show tab is checked by default.
- Unchecked: This box is not checked by default.
Recurring charges use primary provider: Determines to which provider Recurring Charge payments will be applied.
- Checked: Payments will be applied to the patient's primary provider.
- Unchecked: Payments will be applied to the provider that the family owes the most money to.
Display PayPlanCharges as line items in Account Module and Aging of A/R: Determines whether or not payment plan charges and credits show in the patient account ledger and are included in balances and aging.
- Unchecked (default): No changes are made to the appearance of the patient's account ledger or payment plans.
- Checked: Enable Line Item Payment Plans. The following will occur:
- Payment plan debits and credits show as line items in the patient account ledger.
- Payments attached to payment plans appear in the ledger.
- The patient's balance will include the payment plan amounts due.
- Payment plan debits, credits and payments are included in aging.
Payment Plans exclude past activity by default: Determines the default setting for the 'Exclude past activity' checkbox on the Payment Plan window.
- Checked: By default, the Exclude past activity checkbox will be checked.
- Unchecked: By default, the Exclude past activity checkbox will be unchecked.
Use UCR fee for billed fee even if PPO fee is higher: This preference allows you to set which fee is used as the billed fee when a PPO fee is higher than the UCR fees (PPO plan types only). Typically, if the PPO fee is higher than a provider's UCR fee, the PPO fee is used as the billed fee.
- Unchecked: For all PPO plan types, the PPO fee will be used as the billed fee if it is higher than the provider's UCR fee.
- Checked: For all PPO plan types, the UCR fee will be used as the billed fee, even if the PPO fee is higher.
Recurring Charges use transaction date: Select how the payment date is determined when running Recurring Charges.
- Unchecked: Payments will use the date the charge is scheduled to be processed, when Authorizing Recurring Charges.
- Checked: Payments will use the transaction date (the date the recurring charge is run).
Invoices' payments grid shows writeoffs: Determines whether or not insurance writeoffs are included in the Payments grid on Invoices.
- Checked: Include insurance writeoffs for procedures in the Payments grid.
- Unchecked: Do no include insurance writeoffs.