Importing Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Files (834 files)
The Import Ins Plan 834 feature is only available when Public Health is turned on. It is a very specific function that imports data in 834 format. 834 files are Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance files that contain patient and insurance plan information. Importing a file can update patient information if a matching record already exists and create patient records if they don't.
- Only X12 files in 834 format can be imported.
- One file is imported at a time.
- Import oldest files first to preserve the order of insurance plan changes.
- In the Manage module, click Import Ins Plans.
- Under Import Path, click [...] to select the folder where the 834 file exists. All files that exist in the folder will list. The oldest file will be highlighted yellow and processed first.
Note: If you don't see the file you want, click Refresh.
- Click OK to open the oldest file (highlighted yellow). A list of all patients in the file will open. If Open Dental is able to automatically match a patient to an existing patient record (based on last name, first name, birthdate) the PatNum field will include the patient's Open Dental number.
To manually attach a patient to an existing record, double click the patient row, then select the patient on the Select Patient window.
- Check or uncheck the "Automatically create new patients when importing plans for unknown patients....' box.
- Checked: When you click OK, any patients who don't already match an existing patient in Open Dental will have a new record created.
- Unchecked: Only patients with a matching patient record (PatNum) will be updated. Unmatched patients will be ignored.
NOTE: You cannot choose specific records to import.
- Click OK to begin importing patients and insurance information. A confirmation window will open.
- Click OK again to begin. Depending on the size of the file, it may take some time. A progress indicator will update status of the import. Minimizing the screen may reduce import time.
- When the import is complete, a window will open listing the changes that were made.
- To print the list, click Print. Click OK to close.
- In the Main Menu, click Lists, Insurance Plans and verify the plans imported correctly.
- As files are processed, they will be moved to an Archive folder within the original folder. If a file is partially processed for some reason, the processed portion will move to the archive folder, while the unprocessed portion will remain in the original file.
- Several processes that occur during import of the 834 are tracked in the Audit Trail. See Permissions.