Electronic Rx - Required Information
General requirements to use Electronic Prescriptions (eRx):
- A valid Open Dental registration key.
- Update to the current stable version.
- Internet Explorer.
- A high-speed connection (cable, DSL, etc) is necessary for efficient use.
If any of the following requirements are not met when you enable eRx, you will get an error message when you click the eRx button in the Chart module.
- To enable or create eRx, the logged in user must have the 'Rx Create' Permission. In Setup, Security, associate the User Group to an Employee or a Provider, or they will be blocked.
- Due to strict data requirements, the following information must be entered in Open Dental before you can send an eRx:
- Practice phone (10 digits)
- Practice fax (10 digits)
- Practice address, including a city name and a 2 character US state abbreviation (ALLCAPS) with a 9 digit zip code. Cannot be P.O. Box.
- Clinics: If Clinics are enabled, enter the following information for each clinic you wish to send prescriptions for.
- Clinic phone (10 digits)
- Clinic fax (10 digits)
- Clinic address including a city name and a 2 character US state abbreviation (ALLCAPS) with a 9 digit zip code. Cannot be P.O. Box.
- Providers: Enter the following information for each Provider you wish to send eRx for.
Provider cannot be marked as a non-person
- First name (only letters, dashes, and spaces allowed; no special characters)
- Last name (only letters, dashes, and spaces allowed; no suffixes or special characters)
- A 10 digit NPI
- A valid DEA Number (if you do not have a DEA number, enter 'none')
- A valid State License ID
- A valid State Where Licensed
- Valid birth date
- If the patient state is not blank, it must be valid
NDC#s: All transmitted medications must have an associated NDC (National Drug Code) which is assigned by the FDA whenever a new drug enters the market.