The eConnector is used by all eServices to facilitate communication between Open Dental's secure servers and your office. It only needs to be installed once.
To check if the eConnector is already installed: In the main menu click eServices, Signup.
- If the Signup Portal opens successfully, the eConnector is already installed.
- If you are unable to connect, receive an error, or do not have the menu option, the eConnector is not yet installed.
Install the eConnector on a Server (typical)
More Technical Guidance
Install the eConnector on the Server
Webinar: eConnector Installation
Important: The server should always be on and awake. If turned off, hibernating, or in sleep mode, eServices will not work until the computer wakes up.
- Update to the most recent stable version.
- In the Open Dental main menu, click eServices, eConnector Service.
- Under eConnector Service Settings, verify that 'Allow eConnector to communicate for eServices' is checked.
- Click Install.
- If you are prompted to allow the eConnector to begin listening for requests, click Yes.
- If you are prompted to set your computer as the Update Server, click Yes.
- When installation is complete, click OK.
Install the eConnector on a Workstation
First follow the same steps as installing on a server, then configure the eConnector service to run using administrator credentials. This requires technical knowledge and you may wish to contact your IT specialist.
- Click Windows Start and open Services.
- Right click eConnector, and open Properties.
- Click Log On.
- Select "This Account".
- Enter your administrator login credentials.
- Click OK.
Note: The workstation and server must always must be on and awake. If turned off, hibernation, or in sleep mode, eServices will go down until the computer wakes up.
Error when installing the eConnector
Solution: Because the eConnector is a service, you may need to log in to Windows as a user with Administrative privileges and run Open Dental as an admin (right click, run as administrator).
Error: Installer doesn't have access to the registry
Solution: Login to Windows as a user with higher privileges (e.g. administrator) or manually install the eConnector (see below).
Error: Failed upgrading to the eConnector service: Unable to install the service
Solution: Run the setup.exe file on the host computer and try installing again.
Antivirus software is restricting the eConnector
Allow the eConnector through the Windows Firewall
For more troubleshooting help, see eServices General Troubleshooting.
Manually Install the eConnector
Sometimes the eConnector must be installed manually due to permission restrictions on the server or workstation.
- Open the Service Manager. In the main menu, click Tools, Misc Tools, Service Manager.
Or, locate the Open Dental application folder. Depending on how Open Dental was installed, this may be C:\Program Files (x86)\Open Dental or C:\Open Dental. Double-click ServiceManager.exe to open.
Note: You do not need to uninstall the current Listener Service (OpenDentCustListener).
- Click Add.
- Enter or choose the Service Name. It must begin with OpenDent (e.g. OpenDentalEConnector).
- Click Browse and select the OpenDentalEConnector.exe.
Typically it is located in \Program Files (x86)\Open Dental\OpenDentalEConnector\
- Click Install.
- Enter your configuration settings. Set the Server to the name of your database host computer and verify the correct spelling of the database name.
- Click OK to close the configuration settings window.
- If this installation is successful, the status will change from 'Not installed' to 'Installed, Stopped'.
- Click Start to start the eConnector service. The status will change to 'Installed, Running'.