E-Bills using DentalXChange
E-bills are an electronic patient statement processing service provided by DentalXChange. http://www.dentalxchange.com/provider/patientconnect/EPatientStatements
How it works:
- Set up your DentalXChange Account for Patient Statements (see below).
- In Open Dental, enter electronic billing credentials and address information. You can enter information for a single location or by clinic (see below).
- Generate the statements and send to DentalXChange:
a. Generate the Billing List.
b. Click Send. Bills with a mode of 'electronic' will be sent to DentalXChange.
Please use Open Dental version 15.4.46 or greater or 16.1.10 or greater. We have asked DentalXChange to not troubleshoot any failed statements for earlier versions. The solution is usually to update to the latest stable version of Open Dental.
- E-statement format differs from Open Dental statement format. If e-statements are many pages, you may want to print them to avoid extra charges.
- E-statements do not show as much information about payment plans and installment plans.
- To send statements to single patients instead of the entire family, print statements instead.
- Electronic statements always show family members intermingled. Printed statements show a better breakdown by patient.
Set up the DentalXChange E-Bill Account
- Log into your account.
- Click Account in the top left hand corner.
- Under Settings click Patient Statement Settings:
- Select your patient statement profile options.
- When finished, click Continue. If you choose the Electronic Delivery (Email), be sure to send them your email address.
Enter Electronic Billing Credentials (single location)
Below are instructions for setting up electronic billing credentials for a single location. If using Clinics, you can set different e-bill credentials for each clinic. See Enter Clinic-Level Electronic Billing Credentials below.
- In the Billing window, or from the Billing List, click Defaults in the middle right..
Note: If accessed from the Billing List only the Electronic Billing section will be enabled.
- In the Electronic BIlling section, select Dental X Change.
- Select the Credit Card Choices accepted by the practice for payment.
- Enter the vendor ID and PMS codes below:
Vendor ID: 68
Vendor PMS Code: 144
- Enter your login credentials provided by DentalXChange (Account Number, User Name,
Password). If you are also using DentalXChange for e-claims, your username and password will be the same.
Note: If you change the user name and/or password here, you may also need to change it in clearinghouse settings. See ClaimConnect E-claims.
- Check or uncheck the Generate PDF box. This determines whether or not a PDF version of each e-statement will be generated and saved when the e-statement is sent. PDF versions are saved in each patient's Images module, statement folder. If you uncheck this option, a PDF will not be saved, and there will be no visible record of sending
- Checked: A PDF version of each e-statement will generate and save in each patient's Images module, statement folder.
- Unchecked: A PDF version of each e-statement will not be generated or saved. This speeds up processing and is useful for offices who experience slowness when sending batch statements.
- Select the address that will show on the e-bill. The selections are based on entries in Practice Setup.
Practice Address: The address to use as the practice address.
Remit Address: The address the payment should be sent to.
- Click OK to save your settings.
URL Override: See Troubleshooting below.
Enter Clinic-Level Electronic Billing Credentials
If using Clinics, you can set different e-bill credentials and addresses for each clinic.
- In the Billing window, click Defaults in the middle right.
Fields that are clinic-specific are indicated in bold.
- First enter information that applies to all clinics:
Vendor ID: 68
Vendor PMS Code: 144
Credit Card Choices: Select the credit cards accepted by the practice for payment.
- Next select the Unassigned/Default clinic and enter credentials and address information'. These settings will be used by all clinics if no clinic-level overrides are entered.
- Account Number, User Name,
Password: These are provided by DentalXChange. If you are also using DentalXChange for e-claims, your username and password will be the same.
- Practice: The address to use as the practice address. The selections are based on entries in Clinic Setup or Practice Setup.
- Remit Address: The address the payment should be sent to.
- Generate PDF: Determines if PDF copies of each e-statement are saved in each patient's Images module, statement folder. We recommend always generating a PDF so you have a record of statement information sent to the patient.
- Checked: A PDF version of e-statements will generate and save in the Image module.
- Unchecked: A PDF version of e-statements will not be generated or saved.
- Next enter clinic-level credentials and address information. These settings will override Unassigned/Default information when sending statements for this clinic.
- Select the clinic.
- Enter the clinic-level information.
- When finished with one clinic, select another clinic and enter its information.
- Click OK to save all settings for all clinics.
- For details on how clinic assignment restricts user access in Open Dental, see Clinic Security.
- If the currently logged on user is restricted by clinic, only the clinic they have access to will show in the Clinic dropdown.
- If Unassigned/Default credentials match other clinic settings, and Unassigned/Default credentials are modified, the edits will affect the other clinics as well. To unlink a clinic from Unassigned/Default, simply change the clinic's credentials. Then any changes made to Unassigned/Defaults will no longer affect the clinic.
If you get one of the following errors when trying to send e-bills, then you have not finished setting up your DentalXChange e-bill account:
error code 6
Account not set up
Problem: Remit address failure.
Solution: This means the remit address is incorrect or missing. Select the remit address option that best fits your practice, then verify the address is correct in Practice Setup or Clinic Setup.
Problem: Repeated failures when sending e-statements.
Solution: A possible solution is to change the URL override (where e-statements are uploaded).
By default the URL is https://claimconnect.dentalxchange.com/dci/upload.svl.
Instead try https://billconnect.dentalxchange.com/dci/upload.svl