Bridge - Dexis
Dexis is imaging software. See Dexis Website.
To activate the bridge:
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Program Links.
- Double click on Dexis in the list.
- Check the Enabled box, then verify the Path of file to open and Additional Properties.
- Click OK. You will now have a button in your Chart module labeled 'Dexis'.
This data is provided for troubleshooting purposes.
The bridge sends patient data from Open Dental to the specified text file. Example file:
Mouse, Mickey 02/24/08 (17)
Open Dental then launches Dexis, passing the file name as a command line argument. Example:
The patient number is the only required field in the text file. This means that Dexis
likely organizes everything by patient number, and that patient numbers must be identical
with those in Open Dental. This is not a problem for new setups with no patients entered
in Dexis yet. But it may present a problem if you already have a number of patients entered
in Dexis before you begin using Open Dental. The solution is to change the patient IDs
in Dexis to match those in Open Dental. If Open Dental creates a new patient ID# which is different from the old Dexis ID#, you can easily fix it even if you have images in both Dexis charts. In the Dexis Admin window, scroll to the old patient ID# and click Modify Patient. Change the ID# manually to the new OpenDental ID#. The two Dexis charts will be merged into one. It can be easily done on a case by case basis as needed. After a while all your active patients will only have one ID# that matches their OD ID#.
If you were using Dexis in 'stand alone' mode, and/or the patient IDs do not match between your Dexis database and your Open Dental database, then you can contact Dexis to have them renumber the Dexis patient IDs. Dexis will usually renumber patient IDs for their customers for free (or at a nominal price). In order for Dexis to renumber the patient IDs they will request a spreadsheet containing certain patient information (patient ID, last name, first name, middle initial, and date of birth). Open Dental can provide you with this spreadsheet.
Error: Could not access C:\DEXIS\DEXIS.EXE
- Usually this means that Dexis is not installed in the location specified for 'Path of file to open'.
- If it is properly installed in the location and can run outside of Open Dental, usually the issue is that the current user has permission issues on the directory containing the file 'infofile.txt'. The default location for this file is C:\Program Files\Open Dental. Verify the path on the Program Link window, Additional Properties. If only 'infofile.txt' is listed, then it is located in the Open Dental installation directory.
- Troubleshooting hint: Have an Admin user run Dexis the first time to make sure the infofile.txt is created.
- You may need to always run Open Dental as Administrator for Dexis Bridge to work if the path to the Dexis.exe file is already correct. You can set the Open Dental shortcut to always run as Administrator by right clicking the icon and selecting Properties.