Share the OpenDentImages Folder
If you are using Open Dental on multiple computers, you will need to
share the OpenDentImages folder which contains the A to Z folders. The following instructions are for Windows 7 operating system. If your operating system is different, the steps may differ.
Note: These are steps for a SMB share. You can run it on a Linux box but it will add a level of complexity to network setup that may complicate future troubleshooting.
- Right click on the OpenDentImages folder, then select Properties, Sharing tab.
- Click Share.
- Click the dropdown, select Everyone, then click Add.
the Read dropdown and select Read/Write.
- Click Share.
- Click Done.
The Network path on the OpenDentImages Properties window will read \\SERVER\OpenDentImages.
It is a good idea to give permissions to 'Everyone' in the Security tab as well.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add.
- Enter 'Everyone' and click OK.
- Click the 'Full control' check box.
- Click OK.
Problem: I upgraded to Windows 10 and can no longer access the shared OpenDentImages folder.
- Confirm there is a password for the Windows server user name.
- Reboot the server.
- On each workstation, go the File Explorer, then enter the server name as the path.
It should prompt you for a Windows server user name and password.
- Enter the Windows server user name and password, check the 'Remember my credentials' box, then click OK.