Appointment View Edit Window
On the Appointment View Edit window, create, edit, or delete an Appointment View. To open the window:
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Appointments, Appointment Views.
- Double click an existing appointment view to edit, or click Add to create a new view.
Description: The identifying name of this appointment view.
Rows per Time Increment (usually 1): Affects the row height for Time Increments. Enter a number between 1 and 3.
Schedule Start Time: When Open Dental is first launched, the appointment schedule automatically scrolls to a default start time. The options below affect the start time.
- View Start Time on Load: Set a fixed default start time. This option is only used when start times are not determined dynamically.
- Dynamic start time based on schedule: When checked, the schedule will automatically scroll to whichever comes first: the start time of the earliest appointment or the scheduled start time earliest scheduled provider. Only providers in operatories included in the view are considered. Operatories not assigned a provider will consider the default provider's schedule. If no operatory has a scheduled provider or appointment, the View Start Time on Load value is used. See Schedule Setup.
After Open Dental is launched, the scroll bar will remember the last position it was in and stay there.
Disable appointment bubbles: Set whether or not a bubble popup shows in this appointment view when the mouse hovers over an appointment in the schedule. Disabling the bubble popup is useful for privacy (so PHI isn't visible) or for better system performance. When checked, bubble popups are turned off. When unchecked, bubble popups will show. The default setting for new appointment views is determined by the preference in Appointment Module Preferences for 'Default appointment bubble to disabled for new appointment views'.
Assigned Clinic: If using Clinics, select the clinic associated with this view. The view will only be available when this clinic is selected in the Main Menu. All = Headquarters. The default is the option selected on the Appointment Views window.
Operatory and Providers
View Operatories: Highlight the Operatories that will show in the view. If a clinic is assigned, only operatories associated with the clinic list. Click and drag or press Shift or Ctrl while clicking to select multiple operatories. At least one operatory must be selected. Sort order is based on Operatory Setup order.
Note: Screen size controls how many operatories can show at one time in a view. Usually six to seven operatories can show at once.
Only show operatories for scheduled providers: Check this box to dynamically show provider operatories based on time of day. Only operatories highlighted in View Operatories are considered. Enter the time restriction in one of the following boxes (e.g. 12 pm).
- Only if before time: Show operatories for providers whose schedule starts and ends before this time.
- Only if after time: Show operatories for providers whose schedule starts and ends after this time.
Example: Providers are assigned to different operatories after lunch. Create two appointment views, one for morning and one for afternoon.
Morning appointment view: This view will show operatories for providers whose time block in the schedule ends before 12:01 pm.
Highlight all operatories.
b. Check the 'Only show operatories for scheduled providers' box.
c. Enter for 'Only if before time' enter 12:01 pm.
Afternoon appointment view:
This view will show operatories for providers whose time block in the schedule starts after 12:02 pm.
Highlight all operatories.
b. Check the 'Only show operatories for scheduled providers' box.
c. Enter for 'Only if after time' enter 12:02 pm.
View Provider Bars: Highlight the Provider Time Bars to show in the view. Time bars show on the left of the schedule in the appointment color of the provider.
The selections described below affect what information shows in an appointment box and where. To customize what shows in the appointment bubble, see Display Fields, Appointment Bubble.
Example: This appointment view has PatientNameF, WirelessPhone, Age, Provider, Procs, and TimeAsktoArrive in Main List. MedorPreMed[+], HasIns[I], and ConfirmedColor are in Upper Right Corner.
Available Rows: A list of available data that can be shown.
- AddrNote: Address and phone note.
- Age: As calculated on Edit Patient Information window.
- ASAP: Display ASAP when the appointment status is ASAP.
- ASAP[A]: Display 'A' when the appointment status is ASAP.
- AssistantAbbr: The assistant's abbreviation.
- Birthdate: As entered in the Edit Patient Information window.
- ChartNumAndName: Chart number and patient last name, first name.
- ChartNumber: Chart number only.
- ConfirmedColor: Display a colored circle in the appointment box to indicate appointment confirmation status. Define colors for each confirmation status in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.
- CreditType: As entered in the Edit Patient Information window.
- EstPatientPortion: Estimated patient portion for attached procedures. (patient portion = gross production - estimated insurance write-offs - insurance estimates)
- Guardians: Name of person marked as 'Guardian' in Family Relationships.
- HasIns[I]: Display 'I' when patient has insurance.
- HmPhone: Home phone number.
- InsToSend!: Display ! on all family member appointments when there are completed procedures within the last year that have not been sent to insurance. We recommend placing it in the Upper Right Corner. For this to show, also select 'Show ! at upper right of appts for ins not sent' in Appointment Module Preferences. ! won't show if a claim has been created for the completed procedure or the insurance estimate is $0.
- Insurance: The patient's primary and secondary insurance carriers.
- Insurance Color: Displays insurance carrier name with a colored background as set in the Carrier List window.
- IsLate: Display [L] when a patient is late for an appointment. A patient is considered late if they have no time arrived entered on the Edit Appointment window or if the time arrived value is later than the appointment start time.
- Lab: Show the status of Dental Lab Cases. We recommend changing the text color to red as well.
- LateColor: Indicate a patient is late for their appointment by changing the appointment's color. A patient is considered late if they have no time arrived entered on the Edit Appointment window or if the time arrived value is later than the appointment start time.
- LateColor overrides provider and appointment type color.
- The appointment color will not change from Late Color until the patient's 'Time Arrived' is updated to show the patient was not late.
- Completed 'late color' appointments will change to completed appointment color.
- MedOrPremed[+]: Display '+' to indicate patient has 'Premedicate' checked, medical urgent notes, allergies, and/or problems.
- MedUrgNote: Medical Urgent Note entered on the Medical window.
- NetProduction: Net production of procedures attached to the appointment. (net production = gross production - estimated insurance write-offs - adjustments attached to procedures)
- Note: The Appointment Note entered on the Edit Appointment window.
- PatientName: The patient's first and last name.
- PatientNameF: The patient's first name
- PatientNamePref: The patient's preferred name.
- PatNum: Patient number assigned by Open Dental.
- PatNumAndName: Patient number and patient last name, first name.
- PremedFlag: Display 'Premedicate' if Premedicate is checked on the Medical window.
- Procs: List abbreviations for procedures attached to the appointment on a single line, separated by commas. Text will wrap to next line if too long for a single line.
- ProcsColored: See Customizing Procedure Text Color.
- Production: Show the sum of the fees for all procedures attached to the appointment for providers who have a provider time bar showing. This must be added to the view to see the Daily Prod sum at the right of the Appointments schedule.
- TimeAskedToArrive: Display the time before the appointment that the patient has been asked to arrive to the office. See Time Ask to Arrive.
- WkPhone: Work phone number.
Appt Field Defs: The available Custom Appointment Fields.
Patient Field Defs: The available Custom Patient Fields.
Main List: The fields listed here align with the left margin of the appointment box. Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.
Upper Right Corner: The fields listed appear in the upper right corner of the appointment box. Whether the information is stacked vertically or horizontally is based on the UR stack behavior selection. It can be useful to organize data that displays as symbols in the upper right (e.g. 'I', 'A', [L]). Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.
Lower Right Corner: The fields listed here appear in the lower right corner of the appointment box. Whether the information is stacked vertically or horizontally is based on the LR stack behavior selection. Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.